    http://www.darrelllarose.ca/gallery/ordinary Just stuff lying around the
    house with only direct sun coming through the window. I love low-key and
    deep shadows. Hope this helps

    Darrell, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    I have this one!

    I sometimes play with Photoshop...

    Darrell, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Darrell

    nk Guest

    I would like to challenge myself with some photo assignments.
    I tried to search the web for web pages with Self photo assignments, but I was
    not very successful.

    I would welcome any suggestions for some photo assignments challenges.

    Thanks.

    Nath Kaplan

    nk, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Darrell

    Guest Guest

    Take a picture of the most beautiful woman naked and then post them here.
    We'll tell you how you did.

    Guest, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Darrell

    Sheldon Guest

    If your camera has aperture and shutter priority play with these settings.
    See if you can take portraits with the subject in sharp focus and the
    background out of focus. See if you can stop the action on some fast moving
    objects, then slow down the shutter and see if you can follow the subject
    with your camera and blur the background while keeping the moving object in
    focus. This makes the object appear to be moving in the photo.

    Just a couple of thoughts.

    Sheldon, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Darrell

    Ken Oaf Guest

    For a real challenge, try getting a few piccies of Condoleezza Rice naked with
    her boss. ;-)

    Ken Oaf, Feb 5, 2005
  7. : I would like to challenge myself with some photo assignments.
    : I tried to search the web for web pages with Self photo assignments,
    : but I was not very successful.

    : I would welcome any suggestions for some photo assignments challenges.

    What kinds of photography are you interrested in?

    If you are interrested in news photography, pull out the sunday paper and,
    with your eyes closed, choose a page and put your finger on the page. Then
    go out and try to find several photos that will illustrate what is being
    talked about in the article you chose. And give yourself extra points if
    you can get one photo that tells the story in one shot. So if you chose a
    story on farming machinery, try to get some photos of machinery in use, or
    being repaired, etc. Or a story about a speach about downtown
    developement, see if you can get a shot including some shops with people
    coming and going with a closed store (or a demolished shop) in it.
    Whatever the story is, try to get a shot that would fit. But limit
    yourself to about 2 hours to get the shot. :)

    Or if you are interrested in portrait photography, try finding
    interresting people on the street, ask if you can take their portrait, and
    then see if you can capture their spirit in a single photo.

    Or maybe you are interrested in art photos. Pick a location and try to
    find at least 10 ways to photograph that location that will highlight 10
    different features. For example, a grocery store could include photos of
    shoppers checking out. Or product placement, or aisles with many different
    stacks of related items. Or even detail shots of achitectural designs or
    signage styles.

    Or if you are just trying to expand your general photography skills, try
    finding a place that you would normally take one photo and let it go at
    that. Then spend some time trying to find other ways to doccument that
    place. Include closeups of fine details, and look at things from an
    unusual angle (such as looking up from a very low angle at a piece of
    complicated machinery). Sometimes just by looking at something familiar
    from an unusual perspective can inspire some unexpected results. Take the
    time to look for, or take time to set up lots of photos of a simple
    object. It may amaze you to find how many ways there are to look at a
    simple lamp post or trash can. :)

    So, depending on the part of the photography field you are interrested in,
    try to figure out what that field requires and then set yourself a goal
    within that field. And while you are trying things out, and critiquing
    your resulting photos afterward, you will find that you will be educating
    your "eye" to maybe spot potentially interresting shots in the future.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Darrell

    Roy Guest

    Hi there.

    I know what you mean. If you don't have any ideas about what you want to
    Photograph, it is so easy to end up doing nothing constructive.

    Some sort of Challenge or Assignment is needed.

    Have a look at http://www.dpchallenge.com/ They come up with a lot of
    themes for their Competitions.

    I am not advising that your register or join in, but you could "borrow" some
    of their Challenge Titles and have a go for your own satisfaction.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    Roy, Feb 5, 2005
  9. Darrell

    Confused Guest

    Take a series of photos of yourself.

    (self photo assignment)

    Jeff

    Confused, Feb 7, 2005
  10. Darrell

    Frank ess Guest

    Take a series of series of photos of yourself taking photos of yourself
    going over the top.

    Take photos as if you were the subject of your photo assignment, _i.e._,
    "What does the world look like to that flower by the front steps?" I'd
    guess a photographer would not be particularly significant in a flower's
    view. You might develop a healthy dislike for cats. Maybe that's not
    such a good idea.

    Think of something you know about, something you consider yourself a bit
    of an expert at. I have just a passing familiarity with your specialty.
    Shoot enough pictures, and the right kind, to show me ten or fewer
    images that will give me a moderately technical grasp of the subject,
    demonstrate its importance, and allow me to sense what it feels like to
    be a participant in that _milieu_ in more than one capacity. Neatness
    counts, but not as much as content and communication.

    Or, make one picture that does all that.

    Or, make a technically advanced exposure that makes you feel good; or
    one that makes you feel bad, or one you think will make me feel good or
    bad.

    Frank ess, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Darrell

    Confused Guest

    "going over the top" - literally as in
    over the top of a mountain or hill?

    ...or...

    Figuratively as in "off the wall",
    ignoring traditional rules and boundaries (within reason)?
    Are you addressing that comment specifically to me, or to Nath?
    Heh... that sounds like someone I know very closely... :-()
    Emotional impact... something you've never seen or experienced... or
    depict something you know very well but in a way that makes your hair
    stand on end... heh.

    Jeff

    Confused, Feb 8, 2005