Self Extracting Zip File Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bing, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Bing

    Bing Guest

    Experts,

    I created a bunch of web pages for a proposal. I want to zip them and mail
    them to a client. It would be great if all they had to do was launch the
    zip file and the home page of my web site would automatically display. The
    recipient should encounter the following:

    1- Recieve the zip file (self extracting if necessary)
    2- Open the zip file - zip file should automatically extract itself to the
    system temp folder, then launch a pre-defined HTML page from within the temp
    folder.
    3- Browser should open up with the default HTML page, then the user should
    be able to navigate through the rest of the site I created.

    Does anyone know how to do this? I know how to create a self-extracting zip
    file using WinZip, but it doesn't seem to have the capability to launch a
    pre-defined file.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance - Rob

    Bing, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Bing

    Brian Guest

    i don't know if winzip has this feature but winrar does(just tested and the
    sfx file opened my start file in the ie). load the file in winzip.proposal.html"
    hope you have luck.. if not use winrar to create the sfx file.. the auto run
    should then also work with winzip (if the lucky one only has winzip.. do a
    couple of tests)...
    if you are making the proposal... GOOD LUCK....

    Brian, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Bing

    Brian Guest

    one more thing don't forget to alter the extract path if the user isn't
    supposed to see the dir afterwards...

    Brian, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Bing

    PJB Guest

    Remember, that self extracting zips or rars, by default have
    the extension .exe, and many varieties of Outlook will block
    ..exe's by default. Your recipient may never see your work
    ;-)

    P.

    PJB, Jun 17, 2004