    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Andrew Watiker

    desperado Guest

    what are you mainly using the maching for?

    desperado, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Andrew Watiker

    Robert Baer Guest

    I did not know that a computer had hands or anything else; how can
    they build themselves from nothing?
    A version of spontaneous creation?

    Robert Baer, Oct 23, 2003
  4. From: "Andrew Watiker"
    Ask if they will buy some used PCs and components, so you can rebuild them.

    Then point out the logic of spending their money on old unreliable parts,
    versus new parts, and how the new parts have a better chance of returning their
    investment.

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Andrew Watiker

    Wizard Guest

    It's like anything else; when you know how it seems like an idiot can do
    it but when you've never done it it is a daunting task with many pit
    falls. Try it.

    Wizard, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Andrew Watiker

    Night_Seer Guest

    I tried it, even before I found this NG, and it went ok (I did burn a
    motherboard by changing a jumper when it was plugged in :( but i'll never do
    THAT again). Now I'll never do it any other way, and my system is still
    running. Before this I had only done upgrades to pretty much everything
    including windows installs. The only thin I had never doen dealt with the
    motherboard and CPU, and the BIOS part was a little daunting, but I figured
    it out. I would try it if you've done other stuff as well, otherwise find
    someone to build it for you.

    Night_Seer, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Andrew Watiker

    philo Guest

    building your own computer is not really terribly difficult...

    i;m not sure why your parents would want to deprive you of such an excellent
    learning experince..

    here's a suggestion:

    find an old 486...
    i;m sure you can get one free somewhere (maybe right in your own attic)

    then take it apart completely and put it back together again
    and make sure you have it working correctly.

    next take it completely apart again

    now...

    show your parents the big pile of computer parts scattered all over the
    place.

    again...put it back together and show your parents what you have done...

    now i bet they let you build your own

    btw:
    though i am quite confident that you can do it...
    if you do blow something up...
    at least there will be not money lost....

    just get another 486 and try again!!!!!

    philo, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Andrew Watiker

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Building a computer is /not/ difficult in the least. Everything is color
    coded, keyed so it fits only one way, and is quite simple to plug pieces in
    and turn on. The problem comes if you put it all together, hit the button
    and nothing happens. Someone with no experience can easily put a machine
    together, but when it doesn't work after that they are absolutely dead in
    the water as they don't have the first clue of what to check.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003
  9. Andrew Watiker

    Michael-NC Guest

    Not to mention having all the media you need to install the OS and Apps,
    getting a bad part or _two,_ software and or hardware incompatibilities or
    mishaps while installing the parts. Putting the system together is the least
    of the equation.

    Michael-NC, Oct 26, 2003