    host ports/trunk ports, respectively, how would that work?

    I've done this on Intel switches, but the cisco nomenclature is
    confusing. Thanks for your comments.

    Henry Yen, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Henry Yen

    News Account Guest

    int FastEthernet0/1
    switchport access vlan 1

    int FastEthernet0/9
    switchport access vlan 2

    int FastEthernet0/17
    switchport access vlan 3

    Repeat for each of the ports you want to have in seperate VLAN's.

    Don Woodward

    News Account, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Henry Yen

    Henry Yen Guest

    Thanks for the example. To be clear though, the above setup will have
    the switch expecting untagged frames on ingress and not tag any frames
    on egress? (After re-reading the cisco doc, it sounds "too easy"!)

    Henry Yen, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Henry Yen

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Yes. Frames are only 'Tagged' when transitted onto trunk ports.

    Trunk links are defined as links on which frames 'belonging'
    to multiple VLANs (can) co-exist. The VLANs to which frames
    belong are identified by the tags.

    'switchport access' specifies that the port is NOT a trunk port
    and in this case the command goes on to specify the VLAN.

    AnyBody43, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Henry Yen

    Henry Yen Guest

    Your explanation finally connected the dots for me. Thanks!

    Henry Yen, Jun 20, 2004