Seems things aint good in the Linux desktop area fter all

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jennings, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Jennings

    Jennings Guest

    Jennings, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Jennings

    Rob J Guest

    Rob J, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Jennings

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Jennings

    thingy Guest

    I fail to see how you can justify why things are not well...

    Despite the hype around some Open/closed Source competitors of MS
    Exchange, for features it is a hard product to beat.....so Novell is
    re-aligning in areas it thinks it can best perform, and dropping others.

    A KDE developer is upset Novell / Suse is going with Gnome.....so is
    throwing a hissy fit....

    no biggee really.......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Jennings

    Peter Guest

    Well - that depends on your point of view.
    For people who are used to having no freedom of choice, and having a single
    vendor for all aspects of their OS, they might think the idea of options,
    conflict and change to be quite horrendous.
    Having it done all out in public is even more scary.

    No biggee for people who are used to having choices in the context of a
    dynamic market, though.
    Another recent case was the X server, which forked from XFree86 to Xorg - a
    bit of realigning required at the time, but most distros have settled down
    now.
    In this case, it just looks like one distro is changing from KDE as the
    default to gnome. No big deal, there are plenty of distros of either
    persuasion.

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 7, 2005
  6. Jennings

    BrianM Guest

    BrianM, Nov 7, 2005
  7. Jennings

    Peter Guest

    LOL ... very good

    Peter, Nov 7, 2005
  8. Jennings

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 7, 2005
  9. Jennings

    BrianM Guest

    me 2, I'm r-apt

    cheers
    Brian
    -------------------------------------- <*)))))><

    BrianM, Nov 8, 2005
  10. Jennings

    Jennings Guest

    that would of been due to the announcement of dropping the desktop in that
    article.

    Still alot of jobs being axed .... SUSE certainly are not thriving in the
    desktop area.

    J ..

    Jennings, Nov 8, 2005
  11. Jennings

    Jennings Guest

    Truly lame ...

    Jennings, Nov 8, 2005
  12. Jennings

    cyril Guest

    As an everyday IT support chap who deals with folk on both Win and Mac
    platforms and Linux back room servers, Linux is great if your
    interested, (in computers that is) but to most folk in an office
    environ, the computer is just a tool, it must comply with some no brain
    contraints, and I am afraid to say Linux has a way to go in this sense.
    If you want good servers and you have a good *nix background then you
    cannot beat a good linux server setup.

    But as for desktops, I recommend and implement OSX where I can, it has
    the strengths of *nix where needed, but the mindless appeal for office
    drones that is more important than anything. Unfortunately many of my
    clients with accounting backgrounds cannot see beyond the Redmond
    cloud, but hey they pay my bills, and as a desktop the numbers give
    them the game, but for the few that have taken the challenge and put
    OSX on the desktops, they have not regretted.

    Cyril

    cyril, Nov 8, 2005
  13. Yes it is ... in europe.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Bling Bling's nom-de-plume changing soon, Nov 8, 2005
  14. Jennings

    steve Guest

    Not at all.

    There is no one linux.

    Posting with a silly subject line like the OP when the story is about ONE of
    hundreds of distros, is "lame".

    steve, Nov 8, 2005
  15. Jennings

    steve Guest

    My daughter started using linux at age 4.

    You must either have seen bad linux distros or have seriously stupid users.

    Both my kids and my wife use Linux everyday.

    "Geek" is't a word that would accurately describe any of them.

    Xandros 3.0 Deluxe with Open Office *is* just a tool and users just use it.
    You can even run MS office (97/2000 or XP) on it if you want.

    Works just fine. My wife has been using MS Word on Linux for several years.

    No problems.

    The install was 20 minutes....a fraction of what XP Home took on the same
    system...and all the drivers were there when done (unlike XP Home).

    No need for anti-virus or anti-adware.

    It just goes.

    steve, Nov 8, 2005
  16. Jennings

    Jennings Guest

    Well Bling claims Microsoft are about to go belly up, one quick look at
    how well SUSE are doing on their desktop , and BOOOM you quickly
    realize how the windows desktop has little to fear from the biggest
    desktop linux Vendor ..

    J...

    Jennings, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Jennings

    Jennings Guest

    Dont change it most have ya kill filled ...

    Have i hit a nerve ... hahahahaha

    Jennings, Nov 10, 2005