Seems that I am down a hole :-(

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Loony, Mar 16, 2013.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Hello Experts,

    I have come across the barrier :) - of an infant.

    I made a scan of a small leaflet 6"x8" and it was on an A4 glass sheet
    of my printer. I have put the image into my computer and it widened
    correctly to A4 width but there is much space above and below the image.
    I found that the leaflet stayed at A4 width.

    I have tried with a few programs to clip out the image but I can't do
    it. Of course, I could print it and then clip off the extra. What simple
    program could I use? Normally, I have no problems cutting out a section
    of an picture.

    In my computer the few progs I have been using for this are:
    PhotoFiltre, Picture Viewer, Photo Viewer, Irfanview, etc.

    What program would be easiest and simplest for this?

    Regards to All

    Loony, Mar 16, 2013

  2. Have you looked at the margins settings for the sheet that you are printing
    on?

    Just because the paper size is A4, not a USA size, by the way, does not mean
    that the printed image will be that size. If the margins are set very large,
    then the image will only grow to fit within those settings. But whatever the
    page settings are, the image will try to grow an equal percentage in both
    dimensions. 2 inches is 33% of 6, and 33% of 8 is 2.64. So, if a 6x8 was
    enlarged 33% in both directions then the result is an image that's 8x10.64.
    On a Letter size sheet, this gives not more than 1/2-inch of margin in one
    direction, and 0.36 inches of margin in the other direction. That's TOTAL
    margin, so 0.25 and 0.18. If your margins are set to encroach on those
    edges, then the image will reduce itself accordingly to best fit AND
    maintain the aspect ratio.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 16, 2013

  3. Loony

    alceryes Guest

    Paint can crop images easily and comes with Windows.

    alceryes, Mar 18, 2013
  4. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Thank you Jeff and Alceryes,

    I found what I was looking for and it was a bit silly. I expected to use
    an A4 shape and the place I was given to post an image was a square
    shape. That distorted the image and I had to do some mucking around to
    get the shape and size right.

    Another one of my brainless days :-(

    Loony.

    Loony, Mar 21, 2013