    Comments on a few sites state that DL DVD burners are being dropped, the Media
    is far to dear and the hole system of burning DL disk is very unreliable..

    Seems like it was only meant for the Lab...

    BIG Bear , Jan 19, 2005

  2. BIG Bear

    thing Guest

    This a woger posting?

    URLs?

    If I recall correctly the first dvd burners were also a bit of a
    inadequate item. DL offers 9Gig of backup, I will get one, once Im happy
    they are mature enough for every day use.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 19, 2005

  3. BIG Bear

    EMB Guest

    Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    Crap (TM).

    EMB, Jan 19, 2005
  4. BIG Bear

    colinco Guest

    Yep - the very man who has been pushing us all into dual-layer drives
    for the last couple of months has now done a u-turn and proclaimed them
    Crap (TM).
    [/QUOTE]
    How much gin with that lemon?
    Some balance http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18821

    colinco, Jan 19, 2005
  5. BIG Bear

    BIG Bear Guest

    Utter Bollock, post the Facts crap head..

    Gee you have a Sick little mind don't..

    BIG Bear , Jan 19, 2005
  6. BIG Bear

    Mutlley Guest

    I would never use a DL burner for data backup only for video..

    Mutlley, Jan 19, 2005
  7. BIG Bear

    JohnO Guest

    I'd reply to that Woger, but I don't want to upset the delicate
    sensitivities of a couple of usenet nannies that you've acquired.

    JohnO, Jan 19, 2005
  8. it'd be fine to reply, becuase you see you have been provoked "this
    time" unlike "last time" when you ruthlessly attacked him for no reason
    what so ever.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2005
  9. BIG Bear

    JohnO Guest

    LOL!

    JohnO, Jan 19, 2005
  10. BIG Bear

    Matthias Guest

    "You see? You see? Your stupid minds. Stupid! Stupid!"

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Jan 19, 2005
  11. JohnO said the following on 20/01/2005 9:33 a.m.:
    Ignore the nannies, just keep it seemly and go for it, like EMB I
    remember him going all out for DL format.

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
    Geniuses remove it

    Collector»NZ, Jan 19, 2005
  12. "... it will be years before either [Blu-Ray or HD-DVD] replaces the
    DVD." But that's the DVD format as it stands _now_, where the
    predominant writable format is single-layer. Now that Blu-Ray drives, at
    least, are starting to hit the market, DL DVD certainly has an uphill
    struggle to establish itself. After all, why upgrade to a DL-capable
    drive when much higher-capacity formats are just around the corner?

    Also, last I heard, DL discs were not only more expensive than the
    equivalent number of single-layer discs, they were also slower to write.
    So there was really no advantage to using them.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 19, 2005
  13. BIG Bear

    cowboyz Guest

    Jezzz. can you get those floodgates open any wider????

    cowboyz, Jan 19, 2005
  14. I could have, but I couldn't think of a way of introducing "little
    boys"(1), PS2s(2) and having "no brain"(3) or the use of "facts"(4) into
    the conversation... I guess I could have said the following.

    "You should have replied little boy(1), as the fact(4) is that "this
    time" you have been provoked unlike "last time" when you took the time
    to step away from your PS2(2) and ruthlessly attached Mr no brain(3) for
    no reason what so ever"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 19, 2005
  15. BIG Bear

    thing Guest

    Why not?

    What are the alternatives? tapes?

    lets see,

    Aganist tapes.

    These are expensive to buy per media at $30+ each.

    The drives are not cheap,

    Also to guarantee a restore you would need access to 2 tape units in
    case one packs up.

    They are also a slow and sequential technology, need cleaning and are
    not that reliable.

    Single use, backup and restore, thats it.

    For tapes

    Capacity

    Against DVD DL

    limited capacity.

    For DVD DL

    DVD units are cheap to buy

    Media is not that cheap but its price will come down.

    Multi purpose can use to make dvd videos, play dvds, burn cdr(w)s

    fast access, random access.

    Unknowns for both

    Life of media.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 19, 2005
  16. BIG Bear

    thing Guest

    I see woger intends to maintain his high standards for 2005 then.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 19, 2005
  17. BIG Bear

    thing Guest

    9gig of backup v 4.7.

    DL burners seem to be offered at the approx same price as SL, now while
    I agree 2 x 4.7gig media is cheaper than 1 x 9 gig media, this assumes
    you are stting there ready to change the media over.

    I am looking at a DL burner, initially I will probably just use it in SL
    mode but that extra capacity is a reserve.

    As for why upgrade now, well my CDr drives capacity has long been
    exceeded, Im getting annoyed with making 6 disks + backups x 2 for a off
    site set.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Jan 19, 2005
  18. BIG Bear

    BIG Bear Guest

    No the idiot is a Blatant Lyer...

    I have never promoted DL DVD at all.

    Show shows you the sick mentality of the posters here..

    BIG Bear , Jan 19, 2005
  19. BIG Bear

    Axel Guest

    Lost the plot there buddy, all Woger seems to be referring to is the
    dual layer enhancement, not the use of dvds.

    Axel, Jan 19, 2005
  20. BIG Bear

    thing Guest

    Sorry mis-read you, from what you wrote you seemed to be implying DL dvd
    as a medium was no good for backing up as opposed to tape units.

    I had such a "discussion" with a tape drive seller a few years back.
    tapestor or techpac I think it was, trying to convince me a tape unit
    was the only way to backup as CDrw's were not viable.

    Having had to put up with crappy seagate travans etc I know how
    un-reliable these things are and experience has proved for me anyway
    that CDrs are more reliable.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 20, 2005