    I may eventually get a HandyTone-486 or similar, but if theissue is
    with my router I may still have problems. Maybe i should eventually
    get a sip-enabled router.

    Rob Walford, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Rob  Walford

    Rob Walford Guest

    for ref, heres my f/w rules:

    dir source dest srce port dest port pro tcp fl
    action
    any 0.0.0.0/32 192.168.1.8/32 1024-65535 1024-65535 UDP None
    Allow
    any 192.168.1.8/32 0.0.0.0/32 1024-65535 1024-65535 UDP None
    Allow

    heres my NAT entries:

    Local Address Local Port Public Address Public Port Protocol
    192.168.1.8 1024-65535 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1024-65535 UDP

    Rob Walford, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Rob  Walford

    Rob Walford Guest

    BTW, even with my firewall disabled, i cant receive incoming calls.

    Rob Walford, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Rob  Walford

    RJHN *1JOD Guest

    I am afraid I am not at all familiar with the way your router works and
    am still trying to find out how mine works! (It's all a rather steep
    learning curve!

    I presume the public IP address in the NAT table is your IP address.

    Not sure of the 0.0.0.0/32 in your previous post, the phone should
    certainly communicate using the ports you have forwarded.

    I also think rather than a firewall issue it is a problem with NAT
    traversal (the phone not supporting stun or similar protocol)
    I wonder is there a way you can put a destination address (i.e. IP of
    Voipfone) in the settings (not even sure by mentioning this if its even
    possible or desirable!)

    Is it possible to see the active NAT sessions (my router is able to
    show a real time table of active sessions) that way its possible to see
    a little of what's going on.

    I wonder if there may be some diagnostic software to sniff at the SIP
    packets, not sure but think I have seen something that is able to look
    at these mentioned in relation to SIP.

    I rather like the look of the intertex range of routers, they have very
    good SIP support but rather expensive! I would guess the phone should
    work properly behind one of those; trouble is costs can easily runaway
    with the various options available!

    It seems the preferred ATA is the sipura range, I have seen a linksys
    ATA around £ 45 on broadbandstuff.co.uk (I believe this is similar to
    the sipura). The only trouble I found using an ATA was with echo on the
    called parties end, this was very dependent on the phone being used. I
    don't mind slight echo at my end (although a bit disconcerting) but
    wanted the phone on the other end to sound as good as possible.

    I have now settled for the snom 360 and find this is an excellent phone
    but as with all this VOIP through the Internet it is not without its
    latency and QOS issues at times.

    If the firmware was upgraded then I am sure they could easily add the
    features needed to make it work properly! The American version has a
    higher version number, but I have failed to find a means of downloading
    it.

    Any one out there have any thoughts of how the firmware can be
    obtained, I have tried emailing Siemens without response?

    John

    RJHN *1JOD, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Rob  Walford

    Rob Walford Guest

    0.0.0.0/32 should mean "any ip address" on my router.
    i am currently in email communication with voicefone.
    he asked me to try nat.voicefone.co.uk:5065 as the outbound proxy, but
    he obp domain entry in the optipoint would not take it.
    i have made one call, and was certainly impressed by the quality.
    It seems odd that you can receive incoming and i cant, thats why i
    think its a router/firewall/nat issue somewhere.
    i'll let you know if i get anywhere with voicefone support.
    i asked about disabling the voicemail, as to test i have to call and it
    costs me every time, but that option is coming soon apparently.
    I d/l the handytone 486 user guide. What i like about it is that you
    can select to dial voip or landline, although it has a built in router
    with NAT etc and i am not sure how it would sit behind my existing
    router. i'll have a look at the sipura as well.

    Rob Walford, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Rob  Walford

    RJHN *1JOD Guest

    I think the OBP setting port number is internally set; I have no idea
    what it is.
    The phone is very restrictive of what settings you can make, i.e.
    setting the obp to a specific port number, etc.
    If only it was possible to get hold of the later American firmware for
    it!
    John

    RJHN *1JOD, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Disabling the firewall may still leave the NAT issues to be tackled.

    What happens if you disconnect the IP phone and use an Xten or other
    softphone?

    And what if you use another service provider such as FWD? At
    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/content/view/full/274/ you may find a
    step-by-step guide, including detailed configuration instructions for
    the X-Lite. Once the X-Lite works with FWD, you may assume that your
    router has been tamed, and have the hardware IP phone work with FWD.
    Finally, have the IP phone work with your provider of choice. Divide
    and rule! :)

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Rob  Walford

    Rob Walford Guest

    x-lite has always worked fine with sipgate, but i didn't set it up.
    Sipgate automatically installs x-lite with all the correct settings.
    I suppose that means that the issue should lie with the phone, but its
    slightly frustrating if John managed to get it working.

    Rob Walford, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Rob  Walford

    RJHN *1JOD Guest

    Just a quick update.
    I have also tried the phone with a linksys hs200 router and it seems to
    work ok.
    I certainly think it is a NAT problem with your router.
    If I think of any thing else I will let you know.
    John

    RJHN *1JOD, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Rob  Walford

    pt-1 Guest