    c) I did have enormous problems trying to do this with 64 and 32 bit XPpro
    (ntdlr problems) and do not wish to have the same problems, so can this be
    avoided?

    Guest, Jan 28, 2007

  2. RMZ

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    AFAIK, this should work fine. Also, an XP setup should work fine if you
    install the 32-bit version first.
    (I'm not sure why you would have run into ntldr problems unless you
    installed the 64-bit version first, or were changing the boot order in the
    BIOS [which you shouldn't need to do], or you have a disk controller that
    you maybe have to load drivers for and for some reason Windows wasn't seeing
    the other install and automatically setting up the dual-boot config.)

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 29, 2007

  3. RMZ

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I found a post below from you that indicated that you thought 64-bit XP
    needed to be installed first.
    Installing 32-bit XP after 64-bit XP *will* cause boot problems. You must
    install 32-bit first.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 29, 2007
  4. RMZ

    John Barnes Guest

    It is possible. You need a license for each installed system, Vista86 and
    Vista64
    You will not have similar problems as both versions are co-dated.

    When you say one drive, are you referring to a physical hard drive or a
    volume with a drive letter?

    John Barnes, Jan 29, 2007
  5. RMZ

    Guest Guest

    2 physically independent drives "C" and"D" (in my system)

    I had XPpro/SP2/IE7 on master drive "C" and downloaded.installed (from iso
    file)
    the 64 bit version of XPpro on to drive "D". Validated and updated it
    normally.

    On a reboot, both drives were shown as "default" and neither would open
    other than in "safe" mde from which I could not change boot.ini

    Elsewhere thare are some discussions that "ntdlr" is different in the 64 bit
    version and may account for the fact that the 64 bit version should be
    installed first rather than the oldest first

    Guest, Jan 29, 2007
  6. RMZ

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want to be able to boot XP x64 and x86 then you must have the ntldr
    and ntdetect.com from the x64 install disk on your system drive. Most
    easily done by installing x86 first followed by x64. As to your boot.ini
    having two default systems without someone accidentally altering it, that
    certainly is new.
    My personal preference for installing is to install each system with the
    install drive first in boot priority. You then have a completely bootable
    x86 (installed first), change boot priority to the other drive, install x64.
    It sees the x86 and sets up dual booting, but you can always switch boot
    priority order and the other drive is bootable.

    John Barnes, Jan 29, 2007
  7. I am dual booting Vista Ultimate x86 and x64 with no issues. Vista does not
    use ntdlr so that won't be an issue.

    Some advice. If you want consistency between the drive lettering across the
    two systems, install x64 first (you have to boot from the dvd to install x64
    anyway). It will take the drive enumeration from the BIOS (this is how
    drive letters are assigned whenever you boot with the Windows installation
    media). Then run the x86 Setup from the x64 desktop (do not boot with the
    x86 dvd). It will take the drive enumeration from the x64 system since you
    installing from within it. That way drive C: will be your x64 system when
    viewed from either desktop and x86 will be the D: drive under both systems.

    The reason is that if you install x86 first your only option for installing
    the x64 system will be to boot with the x64 dvd. x64 Setup cannot run from
    the x86 desktop. However, x86 Setup can run from the x64 desktop therefore
    it can use the drive enumeration already set up by x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2007
  8. It doesn't need to be installed first but I recommend it. Since you can run
    the x86 Setup from within the x64 desktop but cannot run the x64 Setup from
    within the x86 desktop, install x64 first if you want your drive lettering
    to represent the same physical drives when viewed from either system. If
    you don't care about that then order doesn't matter. Anytime you run one
    installer from the desktop of an already installed Windows the second system
    takes the same drive enumeration already in use by the first system.
    Otherwise the second system will use its own enumeration and will take the
    BIOS order.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2007
  9. No, x86 should be installed first. This is not an issue with Vista. There
    is no "oldest" version of Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 29, 2007
  10. RMZ

    Guest Guest

    I was running XP. I bought and installed Vista Ultimate upgrade, the 64-bit
    version
    since my pc is duel core, etc. I love the performance I'm getting. WARNING:
    I'm unable to find compatible anti-virus protection that will operate on
    64-bit!! Norton won't, Windows Live One Care won't either (even the new
    Vista version of One Care!) I've had to download a 90-day trial version of
    Kaspersky just to have some kind of protection. I've written to MS and
    others, can't find a release date for One Care to work with 64-bit. Sure
    hope it's soon. Thank the Lord atleast for Firewall and Defender. Ugh.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007
  11. RMZ

    Theo Guest

    Theo, Jan 31, 2007
  12. RMZ

    Guest Guest

    Thanks so much Theo, you're a lifesaver. Do you run this and are you
    fairly certain it's a good application and secure? I'll go to the link.
    thanks again!

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007
  13. RMZ

    Theo Guest

    I have the free Home version on 2 installations of Vista, 1
    x86 and 1 x64, and have not encountered any problems with it
    at all.

    Theo, Jan 31, 2007
  14. RMZ

    Guest Guest

    Oh, ok, sounds like you've got a good track record with it. I installed it and
    am running a full scan now. Again, thanks Theo for your help!

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007
  15. RMZ

    Dshai Guest

    Dshai, Feb 1, 2007
  16. RMZ

    DP Guest

    I have it running with Vista Ultimate 64 (RC1. I plan to buy Vista real
    soon) as well as with XP Professional x64.

    Also, though Live Care won't work, Windows Defender will. I think it's a
    beta. It's also a Microsoft product.
    I've been running it with the same Vista installation mentioned above and
    on xp x64.

    DP, Feb 1, 2007
  17. I've heard consistently good reports about NOD32.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 2, 2007
  18. RMZ

    BSchnur Guest

    ESET's NOD 32 should work on Vista 64. Not sure of this, I know it
    readily figured out Vista 32.

    BSchnur, Feb 2, 2007
  19. RMZ

    BSchnur Guest

    I've heard consistently good reports about NOD32.

    I've switched to it over the past few months and find it quite a good
    solution, not near the overhead and maintenance that I encountered with
    some of the other products out there.

    BSchnur, Feb 2, 2007
  20. RMZ

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Barry:
    Version 2.70.16 is Vista x86 & x64 compatible. I'm running it on my
    systems. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Feb 3, 2007