    time.

    Your help is much appreciated!!!

    Thanks, from Seattle

    MrMyke, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Digital has a good selection of telephoto, and macro. Wide angle is a
    bit of a problem since the sensor area is smaller than a 35 mm film and most
    everything is based on 35 mm technology, (like existing lens design) what
    would be a moderate wide angle lens on a 35 is a normal lens on most
    digitals.

    I suggest asking yourself a couple of questions for a start. Do you
    want the best quality macro or do you want not bad macro. The not bad is
    easy, the really good macro means DSLR and a dedicated macro lens and that
    will cost you money. The not bad is really not bad.

    Next how telephoto? Basic to fairly long telephoto is not hard to get,
    but when someone wants to do nature and the talk about telephoto, they are
    generally talking about L-o-n-g telephoto. Make sure the camera you are
    considering will accept lenses or comes with one that is long enough to make
    you happy. Also note that most digitals are small and light. That does not
    help when trying to hold a camera steady for a telephoto shoot. Consider
    looking at a camera with image stabilization if you will not have a tripod
    handy most of the time. The good point is the problem with the smaller
    image sensing area for wide angle is a plus for telephoto a moderate
    telephoto is longer (more telephoto) on most digitals.

    Good Luck

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 17, 2004

  3. MrMyke

    Lung Fish Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    Your first choice is really between Nikon or Canon.

    Although I shoot with Nikon for my dSLR, I would say that if you are
    starting from scratch and you are going for wildlife, the lens selection
    and AF technology of Canon would probably win out. Nikon has an edge in
    their 3D Color Matrix metering and flash.

    Then look at what features you want in a body and your price range. Canon
    (for example) has the 300D, 10D, 1D Mk II, and 1Ds in their current line-
    up.

    Lenses will likely amount to more than the cost of the body, so plan
    accordingly.

    Lung Fish, Apr 17, 2004
  4. Canon 10D
    Nikon D70
    Canon 300D

    Check into those and then add up your accessory costs (you might want to
    consider an external flash in addition to lenses).

    Charles Schuler, Apr 17, 2004