SEEK: stills + movies in one camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jon D, May 10, 2006.

  1. Jon D

    Jon D Guest

    I wanted to buy a plug-in USB memory device for my PC.
    I also wanted a portable MP3 player.

    Now I can get both in a single 512 KB device.
    And it's not ridiculously expensive.

    OK, so it doesn't do each job absolutely perfectly.
    But it does both jobs well enough.

    ---------

    Now what about still cameras that take half-decent movie clips?

    I am out of touch with the current cameras but is there anything for the
    home user whose priority is decent stills?

    Many digital cameras have a movie function but the old 30 secs of blurry
    low-frame rates is below even my threshhold of acceptance!

    Am looking for something which is for carrying around (small and light)
    and only for fun use (about 5 pixel?). Don't know how much memory is
    needed.

    Can anyone suggest a few models?

    Jon D, May 10, 2006

  2. Jon D

    Richard H. Guest

    How about a tiny video camera that takes decent snapshots?

    My wife uses an earlier version of this model because it's very compact,
    so she can keep it with her all the time. It's good as a video camera,
    and it records directly to an SD card. The photos aren't artwork, but
    good enough for snapshot purposes, and it's got a flash, which is less
    common on video units.

    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4796059?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    Richard H., May 10, 2006

  3. Jon D

    SL Guest

    I have a Fuji Finepix S9000 (9 megapixels) that does a good job as far
    as I'm concerned. The Fuji Finepix S5000 (5 megapixels) is less
    expensive and also takes videos.

    My S9000 owners manual says that 1 gig takes 15.3 minutes of video at
    640 (640 x 480) quality setting and 30.1 min. at 320 (320 x 240) It can
    use a 6 gig microdrive which would give you about 3 hours of video if
    the 4 double A batteries would hold up.

    SL, May 10, 2006