See how smart you are...

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Marko, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Marko

    Marko Guest

    In the last month, I have had to explain to three *hacks*
    how to get past what I think is a simple problem. These
    guys are either self confessed computer experts, shop
    technicians or gurus in their own minds, but they don't
    know how to deal with this problem.

    If you think you know, post an outline of the solution
    here, otherwise I will in a few days. Everybody who works
    with computers daily needs to know how to do this and it
    just surprises me that very few seem to know how.

    Problem: You have a Windows 2000, XP or 2003 computer
    where the hard disk is perfect but the mainboard is
    destroyed or there is some other reason why the hard disk
    needs to go to a new machine. When you turn it on, you
    get a BSOD advising you to contact the hardware vendor.
    I'll give you a clue: The HAL has changed. (Note: If you
    need to ask or look up what HAL is then you are highly
    unlikely to get the answer).

    How do you make the harddisk boot in this new machine and
    lose NO DATA? The solution is not to replicate the old
    hardware. Yes, that nearly always works, but you are to
    assume that you cannot do this.

    Marko, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Marko

    Tron2003 Guest

    Homo!!

    Tron2003, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Marko

    Jesse Guest

    Reinstall os without reformating if you can't get the same hw specs.

    Jesse
    Manila, Phils.

    Jesse, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Marko

    licknlabia Guest

    How does windows know to install ACPI enabled HAL upon installation?
    Why can't you switch between a standard HAL and an ACPI enabled HAL?
    How do you know which HAL is installed by windows? List the steps to get
    there....
    Do you have to reinstall windows if you want to change the HAL type or can
    you change the HAL type without doing anything else?

    You should be able to answer these simple questions... so are you a *hack* ?

    I'm not as nice, I won't post the answers. muahahahahahahaha

    - peace.

    p.s

    reinstall windows over the top otherwise known as an in-place upgrade, hw
    gets reenumerated

    licknlabia, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Well I would do the same as Jesse.
    Reinstall OS without formatiing the HD, and hit F5 during installation to
    install the new HAL

    Best Regards

    Jesper

    Jesper Pedersen, Jul 23, 2003
  6. I'm sorry, but Homogenized Milk is the incorrect answer.

    Thank you for playing, though.

    Don Pardo, what parting gifts to we have for Mr. Tron2003?

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Marko

    Consultant Guest

    you could also install it as a second copy (dual boot) to a different folder
    c:\winntnew or whatever which you can boot to the new install then get at
    the data

    Consultant, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Marko

    Gary - US Guest

    Sorry puffer. Homo = Tron2003 is not the correct answer.

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    Gary - US, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Marko

    licknlabia Guest

    yes, that does occur, however, not all of the time.

    I don't know about the rest of you, but I've taken a
    perfectly good hard drive with Windows 2000 Pro from one
    computer to another with completely different hardware and
    it boots just fine (and finds the new hardware)....no BSOD
    for me.

    William

    licknlabia, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Marko

    Gary - US Guest

    Yes. I did that a couple weeks ago without a hitch. I prefer not to but it
    worked fine.

    Gary - US, Jul 23, 2003
  11. Marko

    licknlabia Guest

    I don't disagree.

    It occurs most of the time.

    licknlabia, Jul 23, 2003
  12. Marko

    Jesse Guest

    ok thanks. i have to try that on my lab.

    Jesse
    Manila, Phils.

    Jesse, Jul 24, 2003
  13. Marko

    Gary - US Guest

    The PI!! WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!

    --
    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20

    Gary - US, Jul 24, 2003
  14. Marko

    Marko Guest

    It was said fairly early in the piece: Boot from a setup
    disk and go through the motions of running an
    installation. After accepting the agreement during text
    mode setup, you will be told that there was a windows
    installation found and you get to upgrade (which can be a
    downgrade sometimes, but it still works), continue with a
    fresh installation or quit. Key point is that this occurs
    AFTER you would have already had another screen that was
    asking similar questions (in addition to repair option),
    except it would not have advised that there was another
    installation found. You choose to run setup at this time.

    Windows setup will re enumerate all your new hardware and
    install all the correct drivers. It is during discussions
    with the Hardware Abstraction Layer that you get the BSOD
    and windows stops loading.

    Sorry: Being paid by the hour and taking longer to do a
    job (add time for data recovery and additional software
    answer. I challenge you to go to the person paying to
    have the job done and tell them you have two options and
    you intend to take the most expensive one that will likely
    yield the poorer overall result. That there is a chance
    you won't be able to recover all the customers data and
    application settings because you choose not to take the
    easier route. Consider the extra work if this is a single
    server for a network domain when all youhave to do is run
    the setup as described, run service pack and hotfixes and
    re install Internet Explorer (since the setup version is
    older).

    XP version of this is a little trickier in that you will
    not be able to legitimately use the old XP activation
    key. Anyhow: you need a new OEM copy of the OS to be
    purchased with the new hardware you are buying, right?

    You will need to run Adobe Reader, Winzip, office product,
    etc. at least once before using since it is just like
    running Sysprep; all the other applications will need
    their license agreements accepted again.

    Thanks for playing.

    Marko, Jul 24, 2003
  15. Marko

    Frank Guest

    Morning,

    1. Check the BIOS to make sure the drive is set for it.
    2. This sounds like a video card problem, and should boot into safe mode to
    see if this resolves the problem.
    3. Do a repair install. after which it fines all the needed hardware.

    Frank

    Frank, Jul 24, 2003
  16. Marko

    Consultant Guest

    who mentioned ripping off a customer?

    Consultant, Jul 24, 2003
  17. Marko

    Guest Guest

    Are you really that dense???

    Guest, Jul 24, 2003
  18. Marko

    Gary - US Guest

    Bye

    Gary - US, Jul 24, 2003
  19. Marko

    Cheeseburger Guest

    We are all basking in your superior radiance!

    Cheeseburger, Jul 25, 2003
  20. First I would try to boot from W2K or W2K3 CD or boot disks and see if a
    "repair" could possibbly trick the OS into letting you update the new HAL
    driver.

    Otherwise, just reinstall the OS in the same folder as before and the DATA
    should be in same location (as long as not in a Windows OS folder. Or
    upgrade OS.

    Diana K Brown, Jul 29, 2003