    to provide a home for mailbots, spambots, Conficker, malware bots,
    etc? What's the name of this newsgroup Albert?

    Have all of us wasted our time here Albert? I sincerely hope not.

    1PW, Sep 18, 2009

  2. Albert

    nemo_outis Guest

    Before I transmit my rampant privacy paranoia to you, perhaps it might
    help to get a little perspective on risk. The internet is overblown!

    Life is a risky business - no one gets out alive!

    The most dangerous thing I do (or did) was drive to work every day. The
    internet is trivial by comparison.

    As for the internet, say, stealing your credit card numbers, consider
    this:

    I have often gone out for dinner with friends, ate and drunk my fill, and
    finally blithely handed my credit card to the waiter (whom I don't know
    from Adam) who disappeared in the back for a few minutes before coming
    back with the bill for me to sign. He could have gotten everything there
    was to get from my card in terms of info if he was so inclined. And I
    didn't worry about it. Mostly I worry even less for the internet.

    Yes, I take precautions, but I don't obsess about them.

    Regards,

    PS For instance, if you are worried about internet leakage of sensitive
    personal info, you could do the following: Have two computers, one for
    "ordinary" surfing including some high-risk surfing (porn, warez, etc.)
    and a completely separate system (air gap to other one) for sensitive
    surfing (online banking, etc.) Or, if you can't afford this, then
    approximate it with two virtual machines for low and high risk surfing
    (each could be as simple as, say, JanusVM).

    I don't do this, but it's not because I don't know how. I know that I
    won't put up with the PITA of adhering to the protocol (less charitably
    you could say I lack the self-discipline to do so).

    I will even tell you that I DON'T use a antivirus full time (I scan
    selectively). Why? Because the totality of my protections coupled with
    my risk exposure doesn't require it. Anti-virus programs (even the best
    using their super-duper heuristics) aren't worth shit except against OLD
    exploits and script-kiddie variants (although there's lots of that out
    there). Any good virus writer TESTS his new virus against all the major
    antivirus programs before issuing it. Anti-virus makers are always
    playing catchup. Their brag is that they stop, say, 99.4% of the viruses
    out there, but what they don't tell you is that it's the residual 0.6%
    hot new ones that only have to be unstoppable for a day or two to do
    their work that always get by.

    I am reminded of certain folks I know in the "recreational
    pharmaceuticals" business who adopt parallel measures. Some for instance
    have their own kennels of highly trained sniffer dogs (not overworked
    ones like customs) The product doesn't ship until it passes the Fido
    sniff test - with multiple dogs! And so with good virus writers.

    nemo_outis, Sep 18, 2009

  3. Albert

    as;dl Guest

    He can do better than NOD32.

    Here for his perusal is the latest Virus Bulletin AV tests.

    http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

    as;dl, Sep 18, 2009
  4. Albert

    as;dl Guest

    You don't seem to understand the situation. If you "allow" the above
    to happen, you will be sending out viruses, trojans, all types of
    malware, because your machine will probably turned into a 'bot' by
    some of that malware. You will not only be responsible for infecting
    god knows how many other machines, but if your ISP has a half of a
    brain, you'll end up tossed from their system.

    How can you say "...there's nothing important there..." and then say
    you're worried sending out "...private, personal, important etc.
    information?"

    You need an education in exactly what can happen to an infected
    machine. An infected machine can end up little else than a doorstop.
    There are a myriad of scenarios as to what happens to an infected
    machine. You *really* need a general, basic education on the subject.

    as;dl, Sep 18, 2009
  5. Albert

    1PW Guest

    1PW, Sep 18, 2009
  6. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I don't want my email account or any other account that I've set up
    for forms hacked into. If I ever purchase from ebay or amazon, I don't
    want my details made available to people. Information need not be
    stored on a hard drive.

    Albert, Sep 18, 2009
  7. Albert

    1PW Guest

    Start on your list of 16. The list will probably "improve".

    HTH

    1PW, Sep 18, 2009
  8. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I apologise for asking that question. I didn't think that malware went
    into one system and used _that_ system to spread to other systems. I
    hadn't realised that making one's system less secure can affect other
    people's security. Alright - so my new goal is to minimise the risk of
    getting malware on my laptop so that others have less of a chance of
    getting the same malware :)
    alt.computer.security

    Albert, Sep 18, 2009
  9. From: "~BD~" <>

    | However, have you considered that your BIOS may have been/could be infected?
    | A whole new ball-game!

    | Some may wish to review here:
    | http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=66&id=7

    | An interesting subject - ask Google!

    | HTH

    | --
    | Dave

    Pure FUD.

    The BIOS is NOT infected and should not be considered tobe infected or become possibly
    infected!

    David H. Lipman, Sep 18, 2009
  10. Albert

    Albert Guest

    Now let's stop thinking about this until notified otherwise.

    I also have a remaster of PCLinuxOS installed. If I plan to use this
    for anything related to the internet and XP for everything else, what
    do I need to install on the linux distro?

    Albert, Sep 18, 2009
  11. Albert

    1PW Guest

    OK! You're back on track. You have quite a bit of work to do now.
    The sooner, the safer.

    Best wishes,

    1PW, Sep 18, 2009
  12. Albert

    1PW Guest

    Although many hold that the world of malware is mostly confined to
    Microsoft based systems, I would be most distressed if my Linux system
    was passing malware my Windows user friends.

    Every few months it seems as if the major antimalware players release
    a Linux version of their wares. I've used freeware versions of F-Prot
    & ClamAV for a long time. ClamAV has frequent virus signature updates
    during the day. Better Linux AVs are on their way.

    I see that PCLinuxOS has a Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 which is good. Then
    you can use the same plugins that were mentioned to you before. Add
    to that, the latest version of Mozilla's Thunderbird.

    PCLinuxOS is not super popular like Fedora and Ubuntu. If SELinux is
    part of or can be made part of your distro, that would be excellent.

    IF PCLinuxOS has an Intrusion Detection System (IDS) use it. Very
    little is published about security hardening that particular distro.

    Some folks will compile the latest kernel in an effort to keep up to
    date. Many prefer to compile from trusted source repos, any new
    applications they're interested in.

    If you're really into Linux after running your PCLinuxOS for a while,
    look into Fedora 11 (Leonidas). Virtualization may look attractive to
    you if you've given any thought of running XP as a guest on a Linux
    system.

    1PW, Sep 18, 2009
  13. Albert

    Leythos Guest

    Not sure about the list in the other reply, but if you don't visit
    questionable sites as a practice:

    Quality Active Anti-Malware/Virus software

    FireFox - latest version

    Updated Sun Java

    Adobe Flash, Shockwave, Reader

    All Critical and most all Optional Windows Updates - do a custom update
    to see the Optional ones

    A simple NAT router to block unsolicited inbound traffic

    Do not run as an Administrator level account.

    Leythos, Sep 18, 2009
  14. Albert

    nemo_outis Guest

    as; wrote in 4ax.com:
    It's worth looking at such guides when selecting an antivirus program but
    one shouldn't get too caught up in it. Anything in the upper right
    "cluster" on the graph at http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml
    will do in terms of core functionality. Final selection requires broader
    criteria.

    In short, there are a dozen or so programs at the top level (Avira, AVG,
    G-data, Webwasher, etc.) and quite commonly there are shifts in their
    relative rankings. But there's a lot more to choosing a program than
    just the rankings - Norton, for instance, despite being moderately good
    functionally, is a bloated pig, has a well-deserved rep for interfering
    with other programs, and puts down roots so deep that it is a bitch to
    completely uninstall (Norton has a separate specialized program to help
    deal with this). Avira on the other hand is quite lightweight and seldom
    generates false positives (a huge problem especially for novices!) while
    Kaspersky is superb at unravelling packing schemes to look inside packed
    programs (very handy for warez downloaders), etc., etc.

    Note also that there is a considerable difference between the malware and
    spyware rankings in some cases (e.g., bitdefender) at
    http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02.

    Moreover, I am quite a proponent of - ahem! - "extended evaluation"
    software - I don't think I have bought any software in at least 5 years
    (more like 20 :) Some programs (Nod32, kaspersky) are a pain to keep
    thwarting their protections when updating, etc.; others, like Avira, are
    easy and convenient to keep up to date (and there's even a free version
    that's pretty good for the honest cheapskates).

    Finally, one should keep in mind my previous post - antivirus programs
    provide little protection against new (not variant) viruses and malware.
    For instance, no program on the RAP index graph gets over 80% on
    proactive detection - 20% missed is a huge hole!

    In a similar vein, "elite evil hackers" now plan their month around
    Microsoft's "second Tuesday" security releases. Hackers rush to reverse
    engineer the security releases to discover the vulnerabilities and then
    release malware to exploit them. Woe to him who is slow in upgrading! -
    an example of my earlier "configuration point." The very process of
    patching vulnerabilities has given hackers a highly convenient exploit
    methodology.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 18, 2009
  15. From: "nemo_outis" <>

    | as; wrote in

    < snip >

    | In a similar vein, "elite evil hackers" now plan their month around
    | Microsoft's "second Tuesday" security releases. Hackers rush to reverse
    | engineer the security releases to discover the vulnerabilities and then
    | release malware to exploit them. Woe to him who is slow in upgrading! -
    | an example of my earlier "configuration point." The very process of
    | patching vulnerabilities has given hackers a highly convenient exploit
    | methodology.

    | Regards,

    An interesting observation that I had not considered.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 18, 2009
  16. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I think that I comprehend the meaning, but I don't know why you begin
    with 'Although'...
    What if I run Damn Small Linux from the RAM?

    Albert, Sep 18, 2009
  17. Albert

    1PW Guest

    The word was leftover in my left brain. Now it's not there. 8-O
    Hello Albert:

    The subject is "transmission of malware through Windows vs Linux based
    systems". Our Linux systems enjoy some added security through
    obscurity over Windows based systems. However, I might be storing
    Windows executables on my Linux system in an effort to transmit them
    innocently to relatives, friends or associates with whatever intent
    you might imagine.

    I feel an obligation to assure myself that I am not spreading malware.
    I also need to keep my ISPs from disconnecting my service.

    Therefore I run several feel good AV programs that check my Linux
    systems. I also keep the AV applications current in case the bad
    folks shift more effort in our *nix direction.

    I believe you could take great comfort in knowing that your PCLinuxOS
    or Damn Small Linux would probably keep you safe if you aren't moving
    Windows executables in and out. However, repos' offer some security
    enhancements that harden the Linux side of my systems nicely.

    I wouldn't limit myself to any small Linux. Personally I'd like a
    full service Linux that allows me to explore all manner of personal
    computing. A few of the larger distros suit me fine.

    HTH

    1PW, Sep 19, 2009
  18. Nobody and nothing on the planet can make that promise, friend... but,
    methinks the appropriate response here is [email protected]! <you are just
    trolling, right?>

    Cheers.

    Kyle T. Jones, Sep 19, 2009
  19. Albert

    Albert Guest

    No.

    Is it possible on a Windows system to find all the exe's that are
    accessing the internet? Can you provide an example?

    Albert, Sep 19, 2009
  20. Albert

    me Guest

    I kind of figured that out when the jerk said he had dual partitions,
    one with Linux on it. How can someone be so ignorant as his original
    question portended and then know enough to have dual OSs on his
    machine?

    He has no life and no power in his real life, so he comes here to
    manipulate people who are rather gullible because they go to great
    lenghts to help the naive. It shows what a pathetic jerk he is.

    me, Sep 20, 2009