    no software solution to this. These ports have direct access to RAM,
    so they can do virtually anything to your system. I'm sure there's a
    solution out there, but I have yet to run accross it.

    Privacy, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Privacy

    Privacy Guest

    Sorry, I should have posted to all groups simultaneously.

    Privacy, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Privacy

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Why not delete the drivers? That ought to do it!

    Rick Merrill, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Privacy

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    Exactly not. The point is that you don't need any drivers to interact with
    the hardware to set this up. Heck, your kernel could already be crashed, and
    still you could dump the entire RAM content over FireWire by issuing the
    relevant commands. A reasonable workaround would be to deactive Busmastering
    for the FireWire controller, a better would be a utility which disables
    FireWire debugging for the controller.

    For PCMCIA, there is no workaround. PCMCIA is almost equivalent to PCI,
    which allows the hardware to take over the system as it likes, including
    sending arbitrary electrical signals to the system bus.

    Sebastian G., Jun 6, 2007
  5. Actually, you do need to enable the firewire device to allow for
    such commands; if it is disabled it will not work.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Privacy

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Sadly this is not the case. It heavily depends on whether busmastering was
    initially enable by the driver, when then disabling the driver will lead to
    the discussed state. If it was already enable by the ACPI BIOS Setup, then
    disabling the driver won't change anything. Depending on the implementatin,
    disabling it in the BIOS might change something, but I wouldn't count on
    that. Not to mention System Management Mode and ACPI firmware...

    At any rate, disabling the device might not be appropriate if you actually
    want/need to use it.

    Sebastian G., Jun 6, 2007
  7. Okay, 2 possible solutions:

    1. deactivate bus mastering for the firewire controller
    2. disable firewire debugging for the controller

    I'll be damned if I know how to do either. Could you list all the ways
    you know of to accomplish the above. I'll just do them all. I don't
    need firewire on the system in question. I'll do anything short of
    destroying the firewire capabilities, because I don't think that's
    reliable anyway.

    If it doesn't work, at least I will have tried my best.
    Regarding PCI, I was reading about something called Tribble that could
    compromise a system and get all the contents of RAM. But the trick was
    that it had to be installed before the system was turned on (I think).
    Is there any way that you know of to manipulate PCI on a running
    system to get a RAM dump?

    Regarding the issue of disabling the drivers. If disabling the drivers
    causes the system to power down the port in question, does that
    mitigate any potential risks associated with the port? In other words,
    if I can confirm a port is powered down, do I have anything to worry
    about from that port?

    Thank you.

    privacyoriented2, Jun 7, 2007
  8. Privacy

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Turn of the FireWire controller in both BIOS and your OS, and then check
    whether you can still do kernel debugging over FireWire.

    The real trick is how to insert a PCI card on the running system without
    breaking the bus arberitation.

    Why using PCI? Snooping the system bus at the RAM controller is way easier.

    Yes and no. It doesn't power down anything, but as long as busmastering was
    disabled before, there'll be no driver turning it on again.

    Sebastian G., Jun 7, 2007
  9. Privacy

    mangler Guest

    How about taking a soldering iron to the firewire chip and removing
    it ?

    mangler, Jun 9, 2007
  10. Privacy

    oskiller Guest

    Maybe I'm wrong on my thinking on this, but can't they just be
    disabled in both the bios and the os? Disable in the device manager,
    and if there is no way to manage the system remotely, then they should
    stay disabled and plugging anything into the ports would be worthless.

    oskiller, Jun 10, 2007
  11. Privacy

    David Lesher Guest

    Fill the ports with dongles whose presence will be verified
    frequently; and do nasty things if they are not there...

    David Lesher, Jun 12, 2007