security for file sharing via TCP/IP and other Macintosh securityissues

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mike Levin, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Mike Levin

    Mike Levin Guest

    Hi all -

    I have a Mac in my office (running OS 9) to which I connect from home by
    File Sharing via TCP/IP. Recently another computer in the building was
    hacked remotely and a bunch of files were erased. I am now concerned about
    mine; is there any sort of software package that can be applied over the
    file sharing to give a higher degree of security? And, is there any known
    way to access a Mac on the internet if the file sharing is turned off?
    On a related issue, to monitor access to the Mac "in person" (people
    using the machine from the console, is there any good software which can act
    like a password protected screen saver, except that it 1) has several
    possible passwords (so I can assign individual passwords to valid users, and
    2) records the password and the date/time it's entered (so I can tell who is
    using it when)?

    I would greatly appreciate any suggestions (please cc: to
    if possible). Thanks!

    Mike

    Mike Levin, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Mike Levin

    Marc Heusser Guest

    Is there a reason not to upgrade to Mac OSX?
    It would give you some tools.

    As for 2) it's not a good idea to record passwords, because this file
    can be read by an intruder, therby getting many passwords.

    If you need a record, just record accounts and attemps, but no passwords.
    Or, if you need passwords, print them on a printer physically (they
    cannot be read remotely).

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

    Marc Heusser, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Mike Levin

    Robert Guest

    Was this a Windows computer?
    See these software products:

    Note: At Ease is no longer under development and is not available for
    purchase.

    Multiple Users and Macintosh Manager have replaced much of the
    functionality of At Ease (basic) and At Ease for Workgroups
    respectively. Multiple Users is part of Mac OS 9, and Macintosh
    Manager is available for AppleShare IP 6.x Servers and Mac OS X
    Server. Macintosh Manager 1.3 works with Mac OS 7.6.1 through Mac OS
    9.x client computers.

    For more information on Macintosh Manager, please refer to the
    following articles:

    Article 75333: Macintosh Manager 1.3: Read Me

    Article 60089: Mac OS X Server: Macintosh Manager Theory of Operation

    I recommend upgrading to MacOS X if your environment allows it.

    Robert

    Robert, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Mike Levin

    Mike Levin Guest

    Nope - another Mac.
    Thank you for the pointers to info - I'll check them out. As for OSX, I'd
    love to - I used to admin Unix boxes and this would certainly make me more
    useful with respect to security; but we are a biology lab with some exotic
    hardware stuck onto these machines. None of it will work (yet, anyways) with
    OS X...

    Mike

    Mike Levin, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Mike Levin

    Mike Levin Guest

    at wrote on 7/2/03
    2:09 AM:

    Good ideas! Thanks. As for OSX, I'd love to - I used to admin Unix boxes and

    Mike Levin, Jul 4, 2003