    I don't have any special portfolio yet. How can I show my advantage over
    security field?
    Any guidance or advice will be pretty appreciated.

    Kevin Koo, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Kevin:

    Having recently been banged around a bit on account of some security issues,
    my advise is that you go out and get yourself a copy of Hacking Exposed (the
    latest edition) and start playing with all sorts of utilities.

    You can get this certification and that, which is always good, however, I
    hope you can use the following experience as food for thought.

    I went out and got my MCSE. By the skin of my chinny chin chin I was able
    to squeak by when they were about to retire the NT4 certs. So there I am,
    all warm and fuzzy about having this cert and blah blah.

    Fast forward and I had an interview with a security firm, of all things and
    the first words out of my mouth were that I just got my MCSE and yadda
    yadda. I could have told the guy that I had just purchased a ticket to a
    Redsox game and have gotten a stronger reaction.

    I think that its a lot about what you know and when it comes to something
    like security, I think that being able to do things is more important than a
    cert.

    But thats just my 2 cents worth.

    Best wishes in your pursuits.

    Curious George