  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How do I secure an unsecured wireless network?

    Guest, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Here is guidance from Barb Bowman, MS-MVP, about that issue...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    Use the strongest encryption your wireless access point and clients can use,
    ie. WPA is preferred over WEP. If you must use WEP use 128-bit WEP at a
    minimum... Personally I use WPA-PSK (AES) with a 63-character random ASCII
    key that I generated from this site...

    http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

    I also recommend that you do *NOT* turn off the SSID broadcast...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...