    Dude, go to ZD net and bash microsoft. Don't waste bandwidth here, where
    people want the anwers to problems they are having - AND NOT your new save
    the world from microsoft paradigm.

    MF, Mar 31, 2006

  2. pgluth1

    JohnO Guest

    I might look at this from a different perspective. Get the guy's email
    running through yahoo or someplace where most the of dangerous spam is
    eliminated. Teach him about safe web use, and make sure he is prevented
    from visiting the list of bad sites (Hosts file stuff) I think spybot
    does a decent job of inoculating, there are probably others.

    FWIW, yesterday I loaded XP onto a Viao with a 550 Athlon and 256 MB
    ram. (that's all this bugger supports). It runs fine for email and web,
    and it runs open office quite well. Actually, it feels a lot faster
    than 2k, which was on there before.

    I think someone else pointed out that making XP look just like 98 is
    pretty easy.

    -John O

    JohnO, Mar 31, 2006

  3. My advice is similar to Barry's.

    1. A router, absolutely!
    2. AVG Free home edition anti-virus
    3. Firefox with the NoScript and Ad Block Plus extensions.

    Even Firefox "out of the box" without any extensions will eliminate the
    hijacking and programming of IE, which is becoming more prevalent all
    the time! (A lot of spyware/malware exploit IE to intrude and execute.
    For example, all those free toolbars that companies are giving away are
    just excuses to get executable code on the PC.)

    John

    WinXP_Powered, Apr 2, 2006
  4. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    I appreciate all the feedback from the group readers - some ideas I had
    considered; others, a new perspective.

    As an aside, I hadn't planned on turning this into a Linux debate - good
    thing I didn't mentions Macs or all heck would have broken out.

    One last question - two users recommended AVG - antivirus. I have always
    used AVAST! for home users, for its simplicity. Any advantages to one over
    the other provided the program in use is frequently updated?

    pgluth1, Apr 2, 2006
  5. I've used both: virtually indistinguishable, and I now use AntiVir. But the differences are minor. Your relative's problems will be hardly affected whichever you choose. But I would recommend a firewall. At least give ZoneAlarm a try: and replace IE with Firefox. And tell him to keep off those XXX sites ;)

    Oh Anyone Really, Apr 4, 2006