securely setting up a web server on my home network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Calvin Crumrine, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Calvin Crumrine

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Yes but I maybe misinterpreted the subject line. I thought he wanted the
    sever for connecting to on his homework network in which case the port issue
    would not be a big deal. There are also domain services that redirect to
    ports other then 80.

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Calvin Crumrine

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    cjb.net offers this. I use it so I can go to mydomainname.cjb.net and have
    it automatically redirect to <myipaddress>:5800, so I get my server's VNC
    server.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Calvin Crumrine

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well,

    What it's really going to be about is *here are the baby's pictures*, *the
    pictures from the family reunion we had last month*, *the wife's recipes
    she wants to share with other family members*, *hey family members and
    friends I got a directory you can put your shit in here too*, and *I got
    some shit I want to share also*. And you all remember who is the damn
    *WEBmaster*, because it's my show!

    *been there done that and moved on* <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Yup, that just about describes it. There are several other things I plan
    on doing with this but most of those will be 'learning' so I can do them
    for clients on their Web sites-if they want me to. I might publish
    advice for my clients, but probably not-if my clients wanted to do their
    own troubleshooting/tuneup/management then they wouldn't be paying me to
    do it for them.

    The port idea would be fine for making my own server somewhat more
    secure but it wouldn't help my clients-most of these are businesses or
    non-profits. Their Web sites *must* be available to the public-and yet
    they should be secure also. Right now I maintain their internal networks
    (we're talking small networks here-the largest I handle has 12 PC's) &
    tell them to hire someone else for their Web sites. None of them
    currently has their own Web server but a couple have talked about
    setting one up. If they do so then either I learn how to manage them or
    I lose them as clients-and they're my biggest customers.

    So even though the uses I'll make of my own Web server aren't important
    the learning I'll get from setting it up is, which is why I want to do
    it right-and that means right for a business, not for personal use.

    Thanks.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 16, 2004