Secure Site accessing problem.

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Geoff Lane, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I've got a small home network with a Linux server (Mandrake V9) as my
    connection to the internet and from this I am running a WindowsME via wire,
    WindowsXP laptop via WiFi and recently bought a handheld with pocketpc2003
    and WiFi card.

    I have a problem with my Handheld - now I appreciate it is MS (Couldn't find
    a reasonably priced Linux version in UK) and a handheld so I am not
    expecting too much from it but I can access normal URLs fine.

    I have a problem accessing certain https sites, the problem is sometimes
    they appear and sometimes the window just hangs.

    Not understanding firewalls too well I am wondering if it is something to do
    with my settings; I was advised to change my current set up to DROP all
    then allow certain conditions but at the moment I have the following;

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    FORWARDED PACKETS
    I've got DROP if input interface is ppp0 and state of connection is
    NEW
    As above but state of connection is invalid.

    INCOMING PACKETS
    I've got DROP if input interface is ppp0 and state of connection is
    NEW
    As above but state of connection is invalid.

    No Output rules.
    No Postrouting rules.

    And I've got masquerading on POSTROUTING.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Any suggestions, could it be my set up or is it just eratic MS?

    Geoff Lane, Aug 21, 2003