Secret Project - Sun Keyboard Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Aug 31, 2005.

?

Keyboard Mods are Unique!

  1. Yeah, but so is a monkey coming out of my.....

    100.0%
  2. Sure, I'll grant you that.

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wow! Bigal is the most supreme modder ever...at least for today!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was shaped and piccies were taking way ages to come up :( Looks pretty darn good though ;)

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 8, 2005

  2. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Saving some money...

    I've decided to forgo the scrolling LED or LCD display ideas in the keyboard frame. I need to save some money to get Screaming Eagle slip-on mufflers this week for my Harley Fat Boy. So, I used one of my green EL wire kits (made by XG Extreme Gamer - part IS-ELW01GG, www.mge-usa.com ) to fashion the letters "AMD". These pictures show that I used scotch tape to hold it down, and I just finished gluing the wire down so I can take that tape off tomorrow. It's not really permanent either, as I can pull the wire up and reapply the black duct tape.
    The first pictures show that I forgot to thread the wire through an existing opening in the keyboard, so I had to either take the lettering off, or cut a larger hole in the keyboard backing plate. I elected to cut the hole! I'm getting lazy I guess...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Sep 13, 2005

  3. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Fixed your post Al. (HTML is not allowed).

    Silverstrand, Sep 13, 2005
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well???

    I wondered what was happening! I kept changing things, and then they changed again. I was going nuts trying to get this right.....
    So, do you like the sign?

    bigal, Sep 13, 2005
  5. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    It looks kinda odd, and a tad noobish in my mind. Although, I don't know how you could change it to make it look better.

    Silverstrand, Sep 13, 2005
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sorry I asked...

    Well, thanks, I guess. I think I'll go soak my head in the toilet now... :(

    bigal, Sep 13, 2005
  7. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Haha, I'm sorry Al. *pats Al's back* Just my opinion. I've never really like EL wire used as letters.

    Silverstrand, Sep 13, 2005
  8. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    it looks aight, but its just seems like it was rushed or something. mebe its just the tape holding it down :p
    If you could bother doing this, which i wouldnt, itd be mad if you made it look like this AMD Logo
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9889/amdlogo2ir.jpg
    itd take a while and lots of holes i reckon :p

    XhArD, Sep 13, 2005
  9. bigal

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    And way too much EL wire ;)
    It looks alright to me BTW :)

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 13, 2005
  10. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    the cathode up the top could be a little more open i reckon, i didnt even notice it until i went back up and read what you were saying about the UV Cathode in the top.

    XhArD, Sep 13, 2005
  11. bigal

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Yeh I can't even really see any effect from the cathode :?

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 13, 2005
  12. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    its got nothing to light up :p it just needs to show a little more so you can actually see it, unless youre gonna actually put some UV Reactive crap in there. If youre gonna make some glowy stuff, then it wouldnt matter.

    XhArD, Sep 13, 2005
  13. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, it was a rushed job, in that the lettering took only about 30 minutes to mount. The tape holding it down is temporary, until the glue dries. I thought about a more complicated EL wire arrangement, but forming letters much smaller is difficult (it won't bend sharply). I would probably have to use some other medium for illumination should I wish to add more than a few more letters.
    The AMD symbol would be cool, but I already have that on the plexiglas. It wouldn't fit within the keyboard frame either. The cold cathode is purple, not UV. I agree that it doesn't do much to illumiate the area at this point, even though I cut those windows into the keyboard back. I could do something to open up the interior and allow more purple light to shine down upon the EL wire area, and I may do that. We'll see.

    bigal, Sep 13, 2005
  14. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i say get ur self a few graphic LCD's... (not expensive ones... cheapo half branded from radioshack or sumthing) i can get 2 slightly big for bout 50 AU each.
    U could mount them and make a Moving image... u would make them Right up close to each other or something.
    If u had the money getting a Big LCD would be sweet u could connect it up to some VGA connection (probably get a short VGA card to put in)

    unholy, Sep 13, 2005
  15. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    but like he said, he needs a new muffler :p

    XhArD, Sep 13, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I added black tape inbetween the letters, and at the lower portion of the first letter tonight. It looks a little better. I think I'll keep it this way for a while. I have to start painting the kitchen in a week, and I must finish that promptly once started.

    bigal, Sep 14, 2005
  17. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    youve got lots of stuff to do dont you? get new muffler, paint kitchen, make amd logo cooler... the list goeson.

    XhArD, Sep 14, 2005
  18. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    and on and on.... hes a busy man .... he also has a review to do :D

    unholy, Sep 14, 2005
  19. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    review on what?

    XhArD, Sep 14, 2005
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You'll have to wait...

    ...I can't devulge my reviews before they make the news....
    Check the lounge for a brief glimpse though.
    Here's a minor update to the keyboard.  I added some black tape inbetween the letters and on the edge of the letter "A".
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Sep 16, 2005