    I would like to take shots of my friend's jumps during the rides and
    that's where I require the manual focus.

    Any suggestions please?

    Gerhard Beulke, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Gerhard Beulke

    Matt Ion Guest

    www.dpreview.com -> Buying Guide -> Features search.

    Matt Ion, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Gerhard Beulke

    Cgiorgio Guest

    For example Ricoh GX8, R5 etc.

    Cgiorgio, Dec 19, 2006
  4. Gerhard Beulke

    bugbear Guest

    ^^^^
    Motor or pedal?

    BugBear

    bugbear, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Gerhard Beulke

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Gerhard Beulke

    Kelpie Guest

    I'm also looking for a compact, did you consider an LX2? I'd buy one in a
    flash if it not for the reports of bad noise.

    Kelpie, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Thank you everybody.
    I hope there is a smaller camera out there like the Ixus cameras.
    I really need one which is very thin to keep it around my neck.

    Gerhard Beulke, Dec 20, 2006
  8. Gerhard Beulke

    Chris Luck Guest

    You like the manual focus? That's one of the E900's weakest features, the
    LCD is low res (115K) and there is no magnified image available to help you
    judge the focus. You may get lucky at close range but I wouldn't depend on
    it. Also when using manual focus in low light the screen does not 'bright
    up' so a dim scene becomes unworkable. The behaviour in auto-focus mode is
    different, here the screen does bright-up and one trick I developed was to
    pre-focus on the target in auto-focus mode - though even that's not too easy
    in low light since the E900 doesn't have a focus assist lamp - then, without
    adjusting anything else, switch to manual focus. The focus point remains at
    the pre-focus setting. Not perfect, but likely to get better results than
    plain manual and in low light the only usable option.

    The E900 does have its plus points but please don't sell it on its manual focus.

    Chris Luck, Dec 20, 2006
  9. Gerhard Beulke

    Chris Luck Guest

    Sorry about the line wrapping. Using Thunderbird - must try to remember to
    re-wrap before sending.

    Chris Luck, Dec 20, 2006
  10. No problem reading it with T-bird here, as it wraps to the size of my
    window automatically...
    The above don't work as a delimiter only because Terranews appends its
    own delimiter:

    John McWilliams, Dec 20, 2006
  11. Gerhard Beulke

    Chris Luck Guest

    Yes, but it can make it difficult to follow with a wide window. I'd sooner
    it wrapped as here. [Assuming I've done it right this time. :) ]
    I know. Drat. Not a lot I can do about that aside from finding another
    provider but Teranews has good coverage and performs adequately given the
    price (though it has had its ups and downs) so I'm not desperate to move.

    I'll maintain the 'non-delimiter' out of habit.

    Chris Luck, Dec 20, 2006
  12. Gerhard Beulke

    David Guest

    Hw small do you want to go? How big is too big?
    If you're after a pocket camera, try one of the Canon A series - these
    advanced pocket cameras have some mighty impressive specs.
    If you're happy to go a bit larger, try the Canon S3 on for size. I've been
    impressed with the Canon S3.

    The little Panasonics look pretty impressive too, with built in image
    stabiliser.

    Question though ... instead of manual focus, wouldn't pre-focusing work well
    enough?

    David

    David, Dec 23, 2006
  13. Gerhard Beulke

    r m Guest

    My guess is that he prefers open stop with low EI ... a DOF issue
    demanding greater focussing control.

    r m, Dec 23, 2006
  14. Correct- thank you.
    I'm still looking around since I can't find a really small pocket camera
    which does the job.

    Gerhard Beulke, Dec 25, 2006