    found. In case it's significant, all files are visible in Explorer.
    Command-line 'DOS' FIND command works a treat, though.

    Any clue what's happening, please? windows

    Pofadda, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Pofadda

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I believe the problem is that Windows XP's search feature doesn't "read" the
    files. It has an index system. If the file was created or previously opened
    in XP, then it gets indexed. If not, XP doesn't have a clue what's in the
    file.

    ┬░Mike┬░ recently posted a link for a search program that he said would help
    another person with this same problem - I'll go see if I can find it...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Pofadda

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Here's a search program that sounds like it might do what you want:
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

    Toolman Tim, Jul 11, 2004
  4. "Advanced Options" System, Hidden, Subfolders.

    Just get Agent Ransack, you don't need to know how to run it.

    --
    Mr. Trevor Fourie.
    WesBank Limited.

    Mr. Trevor Fourie, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Pofadda

    Unk Guest

    You need to tweak XP's search settings to get it working right. It should
    come set this way by default...

    Double-Click "My Computer", double-click the "Local Disk (C:)
    Click "Tools", "Folder Options", click the "View" tab, under "Files and
    Folders", check everything except "Do not cache thumbnails"

    Under "Hidden files and Folders", check "Show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck "Hide extensions....", and "Hide protected......"
    check the box, "Remember each folder's view setting", click "Apply", "OK"

    Windows XP Search Problems: see "Can't Find Files, Containing text"
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

    Improve Windows XP's search facility
    http://www.thirdstar.net/beeline/Improve_XP_Search.htm

    That damn search assistant...

    Disable Search Assistant (Line 15, Right Column)

    Old Style Search Engine On/Off (Line 49, Left Column)

    Or...

    Use TweakUI, Explorer section to set Classic Search:

    Unk, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Pofadda

    Pofadda Guest

    [snip]

    Many thanks to all who helped me with this problem. In addition to the
    AgentRansack option I received the following MS KB reference re fixing
    it myself and it works:
    What a daft change to a search facility - make it search fewer files to
    speed the service up 8-(...

    Ta again.

    Pofadda, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Pofadda

    PuppyKatt Guest

    <snip>

    I downloaded this, and upon opening, got a virus warning from McAfee,
    about suspicious scripting activity.

    That damn search assistant...
    :
    : Disable Search Assistant (Line 15, Right Column)
    : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    PuppyKatt, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Pofadda

    Unk Guest

    That's because it'a a vbs script file. Most AV software trap scripts.
    Right-click it, and "Save as....." then right-click it and "Edit"
    You'll see it's harmless.

    Get the "undo" too in case you want to reverse it.

    Unk, Jul 12, 2004