    crap out, they are loosing.

    Best,
    Borek

    Borek, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Strange Creature

    Borek Guest

    No, Google is as hermetic as possible. But there are tricks to lift
    your site up. It is called SEO.

    Best,
    Borek

    Borek, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Strange Creature

    Borek Guest

    It often helps to use not keywords but a phrase in quotes - only
    pages containing this exact phrase shows up.

    Best,
    Borek

    Borek, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Strange Creature

    Borek Guest

    Like search for "miserable failure"?
    The problem is, these directories are specifically optimised to be
    high in the search results, while quite often pages you are looking
    for are not. Reason is simple - directories are made by people knowing
    SEO and making money out of it. Companies selling products are often
    not aware of the fact SEO exists.

    Best,
    Borek

    Borek, Nov 22, 2005
  5. It's not a search engine, but if you want to find out useful information
    then try the Wikipedia online encyclopaedia.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    It can be edited by anyone, so occasionally the info is incorrect - but as
    everyone on the net can edit it, generally the information is sound.
    Scurrilous entries are soon corrected.

    Great free resource.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Strange Creature

    tadchem Guest

    Secret Squiddle wrote:

    I personally have edited a few pages (including deleting a reference to
    Velikovsky from an archaeological chronology).

    Democratic corrigibility...how ironic!

    Tom Davidson
    Richmond, VA

    tadchem, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Strange Creature

    jmfbahciv Guest

    Bad recommendation. That is not a place to start.
    Not occasionally.
    Corrections cannot occur if cranks, who are ideologues, reedit
    the bad information back in. Notice the behaviour on this
    newsgroup (s.p.).
    Yep. You get what you pay for.

    /BAH

    jmfbahciv, Nov 24, 2005