    I do NOT have that checked. Nowhere else can I find a setting for
    this pain in the butt happening.

    Anyone know how to stop this?

    kv11, Aug 13, 2011

  2. kv11

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:59:31 -0500, in message <>

    Your description might be any one of these:

    1) Google Instant "predictions and results appear while typing"
    This is a Google setting, not a Firefox setting

    2) "Provide query predictions in the search box"
    This is also a Google setting, not a Firefox setting.

    3) "Remember search and form history"
    This is a Firefox setting.

    That Firefox setting is not it. That setting is for the automatic
    Ctrl+F "find text on this page" thing. It is not for guessing what
    you are going to type.

    1,2) On the Google search page, click on the gear wheel icon at the
    top right. From the drop-down which appears, select
    "Search Settings". Scroll down to find the Google settings
    for predicting what you are going to type.
    ( ) Use Google Instant — predictions and results appear while typing
    ( ) Do not use Google Instant
    or
    ( ) Provide query predictions in the search box.
    ( ) Do not provide query predictions in the search box.

    3) In Firefox, go to "Tools >> Options >> Privacy".
    In the drop-down next to "Firefox will", select
    "Use custom settings for history".
    This will let several check-boxes appear, including
    [ ] Remember search and form history

    Ralph Fox, Aug 13, 2011

  3. kv11

    Justin Guest

    Which google search box? the one in the browser near the address bar
    or the one on the web page?

    Justin, Aug 13, 2011
  4. kv11

    kv11 Guest

    I previously did look at Google to see if there were such settings.
    I couldn't find any because I keep the page color set to a soft
    beige/brown setting to save my eyes from putting up with that
    brilliant white background on most of the Web. When I did that, the
    gear choice never shows. This is a common problem I've had with
    pages. Many times I have to go in and reset the settings to let the
    pages choose their own colors. I didn't think to do it this time with
    Google.

    The Privacy/History drop down boxes I missed entirely. I probably
    wouldn't have thought them responsible for this anyway.

    Thanks heaps!

    kv11, Aug 13, 2011