    I am trying to find out where the records are of Seaman's Bank for
    Savings which had a branch at 548 Fifth Ave., New York, N.Y. in the early
    1980's.

    Lefty Mills, Jan 8, 2005

  2. I don't have first hand knowledge of this. If the bank has been merged,
    then it's insurer would know who it was merged with. If this bank went down
    with the other S&L's in the eighties, then its insurer was the FSLIC.
    Unfortunately it went down also. The FDIC http://www.fdic.gov/ took over
    the deposit insurance and the big bailout began. Your best bet is to direct
    your question to the FDIC.
    --
    Dave
    Central Mass. USA

    To email: Replace
    mailinator.com with email.com

    Dave McAuliffe, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Lefty Mills

    Joel Rubin Guest

    I'd check with FDIC.GOV. (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation)

    http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/3dseries/2004/2004_50525.htm

    A chain of assignments was made which originated with West Hills
    Associates to Seaman's Bank for Savings. When Seaman's assets were
    seized by FDIC, the mortgage was sold by FDIC to the First Federal
    Savings Bank, which later became known as the Berkley Federal Bank &
    Trust, FSB.

    Joel Rubin, Jan 8, 2005