    have areas that are in focus, and areas that are not in focus.

    I have no idea what you're talking about with the umbrella.
    --

    JPS, Dec 17, 2003

  2. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <brpfo5$gj3$>,
    No, you hopeless soul; 66% of the "full RGB data" gets invented, but
    none of the pixels get invented, with a Bayer. For a 13.7MP SD9 image,
    75% of the full RGB data *AND* 75% of the pixels are interpolated.

    You can not rescue the SD9 with Kindegarten Magician Arithmetic; the
    images speak for themselves, and they are not very good. You bought a
    lemon SLR.

    JPS, Dec 17, 2003

  3. George Preddy

    Noel Guest

    I think Steve is referring to his multiple-personality disorder.

    Noel, Dec 17, 2003
  4. George Preddy

    Noel Guest

    Just wait until the forged-header filth-ridden attacks start.

    Noel, Dec 17, 2003
  5. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <brpfpp$gjd$>,
    You're thinking of the number of possible 12-bit linear colors, but
    there are two problems; the noise and jitter reduce the number of
    *meaningful* colors, "black" is always higher than zero, and cameras
    generally don't have the power to amplify the 3 color channels
    independently, so some channels (maybe all of them) will never use all
    4096 values. This is true of all cameras, but especially the SD9 with
    its low sensitivity (most of the light hitting the sensor never enters a
    photosite, but this should improve with the SD10 and its microlenses).

    JPS, Dec 17, 2003
  6. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    Sorry, got carried away with the accronym... RGBCYM then.
    That's what I was trying to drive home, but Preddy can't think in these
    terms anyway, so why do I bother?

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  7. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    ....only if anyone buys the cameras George. Nobody is buying. No
    ordinary stores are stocking DS-9's, unless anyone places an order and
    leaves a deposit. Small stores are ordering 300D and 10D's on risk
    knowing they will be sold at a good profit...

    Consumers have a great day only when there are competitive offers for
    something they actually want to buy. The Sigma SD-9 does not fit the
    "great day" model.

    But I'm glad you've begus saying 10.3M "sensors" for the SD-9 as long as
    you realize that that is 3.4M pixels; and the 10D is 6M+ pixels.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  8. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    Of course not silly, that's where you resolve true color. Now I'm glad
    you're beginning to see the truth in the matter.

    False. You're creating 80% of the information out of nothingness. Gee,
    and I thought you were beginning to figure it out...

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  9. George Preddy

    Junque Guest

    Why only one hundred, there are far, far more human visible wavelengths
    between UV and IR.

    Junque, Dec 18, 2003
  10. Sigma's main business is not SLRs, digital or film. It's selling large
    quantities of cheap lenses, for non-Sigma cameras, to people who buy only by
    price, not by quality. They compete against Tamron, Quantaray, and Vivitar.
    You can be quite sure that the digital SLR business has not been profitable
    for them.

    "Effective pixels" fools very few people. Not enough for Sigma to make a go
    of it. I expect that once they manage to sell off their inventory that
    they'll drop out of the digital SLR business. It will be very difficult to
    overcome the reputation of the SD9 even if Sigma and Foveon resolve all
    their problems. Even if they manage to solve all the issues, who would
    seriously consider a Sigma D-SLR given the lack of availability of good
    optics.

    I hope that Foveon can make it, Carver and I go way back, but it won't be in
    D-SLRs from Sigma if they do.

    Steven M. Scharf, Dec 18, 2003
  11. Got a gallery?

    George Preddy, Dec 18, 2003
  12. George Preddy, Dec 18, 2003
  13. I wouldn't call $6000 cheap.

    George Preddy, Dec 18, 2003
  14. That's what you said. You are wrong, the SD9 can't see an infinite number
    of colors, it can only see 68 billion.

    Please learn the basics of digital imaging before posting here.

    George Preddy, Dec 18, 2003
  15. The Bayer car, in your analogy only has 1 tire.

    1.5M complete RGB sets, interpolated up to 6MP output using math, not
    optics.

    1.5MP.

    1 wheel.

    George Preddy, Dec 18, 2003
  16. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Okay, so how many legs would a Foveon donkey have, George?

    Lionel, Dec 18, 2003
  17. We know the Foveon Jack Ass has 2 legs, and unfortunately Internet
    access....

    ;)

    Darrell Larose, Dec 18, 2003
  18. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    Well, that's cute. Spoken by the most mis-guided, run at the mouth
    idiot to ever swim in these waters. George, old buddy: People come
    here to learn the basics---but hopefully not from you.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 18, 2003
  19. George Preddy

    Mark Herring Guest

    That's Foveon JACKASS---he has 2 AFAIK

    Mark Herring, Dec 18, 2003
  20. George Preddy

    Bill M Guest

    actually, since it's X3 so it has 6, but can interpolate to 18...

    Bill M, Dec 18, 2003