    photography.

    Look for it to go even lower, as Sigma continues to wreck the cartel price
    structure. A great day for consumers, a nightmare for C/N/F.

    George Preddy, Dec 17, 2003

  2. What else can you do bt laugh? You said Sigma was going out of business,
    right before they released the SD10 with a new Pro 10M from Foveon.

    Here's a hint, Sigma is the largest lens maker in the world. They aren't
    going bankrupt, they can't keep up with demand. I personally know two 10D
    users who are making the move over to SD10s.

    George Preddy, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Date 1969 - before the birth of Foveon. This definition is plainly too old
    to be of any use anyway. We need an updated definition to make a pixel mean
    1 full color detecting element of a charge coupled device.

    Manfred von Richthofen, Dec 17, 2003
  4. I personally know nobody with either camera. But the SD10 is far superior in
    every single respect to the consumer grade 1Ds with its blurry 2.7 Mp sensor
    and lines of overpriced lenses. Probably.

    Manfred von Richthofen, Dec 17, 2003
  5. George Preddy

    Bill M Guest

    And you're still wrong (big suprise to all here I'm sure).

    Bill M, Dec 17, 2003
  6. George Preddy

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    You claimed that Sigma was "GIVING away the cameras and GIVING away the
    lenses."

    Post your proof.

    And tell me how I can get an SD-9 outfit GIVEN to me from Sigma?

    Can I get more than one?
    Enjoy yerself.
    You mean like the SD-9 to the SD-10?
    That has nothing to with your claim that "something worthless falls in price
    'cause it has no value."
    No I'm not.

    Cam stores have showcases of med format cameras that no one wants to buy.

    Why should they buy more cameras they can't move?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2972988991&category=3351

    And after two bids the price is up to $5.50.

    That's right, folks.

    FIVE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS!!!

    Thanks for proving me right, Alan.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971191119&category=3351

    Not the cam I was referring to...
    Thanks for the history lesson.
    Thanks for... changing the subject??
    Prove that "heads will be rolling at Sigma."
    How much lower is a 10d gonna be after the new model is unveiled at PMA in
    February?
    Sigma has been making and selling hundreds of thousand of lenses for years.

    Someone is buying them!

    Have you seen the new 12-24mm from Sigma?

    Full frame on a 35mm.
    Fromage, Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 17, 2003
  7. George Preddy

    Steve Roys Guest

    Poppycock! R, G, and B might be happily sampled, but what about O, Y, I,
    and V? Are the non-primary colors doomed to be the bastard stepchildren
    forever?

    S.

    Steve Roys, Dec 17, 2003
  8. And once again, George demonstrates that he doesn't understand what he
    spouts about. LOL!

    Albert Nurick, Dec 17, 2003
  9. George Preddy

    Chris Brown Guest

    I hate to be the party-pooper, but our good friend "Manfred" is satirising
    "George" here. You're not supposed to take it at face value...

    Chris Brown, Dec 17, 2003
  10. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    There is no limit other than practical, you boob. Why not have a sensor
    at every 25 nm of spectrum? Why not RGBCYMK? There is nothing limiting
    it to a scecific number of color slots (other than fabrication and cost
    practicalities)

    The point, that you you skipped in your typical slimey way, is that a
    pixel is a pixel and cannot be multiplied by the number of color sensors
    under it.

    Again, 3.4 MPix is 3.4 Mpix. That is all. That is all the Foveon delivers.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  11. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    Horseshit. You could 'sense' RGBCYMK. You could 'sense' every 25 nm of
    spectrum ... etc. the limitation is technological/fabrication/price.

    The point was not related to this, however, the point was, regardless of
    the number of discrete color sensors under the pixel, it does not change
    the number of sensors on the array.

    The Foveon is a 3.4 Mpix sensor. Not 10.2 or 14.x as George has been
    harping for months...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  12. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    Great answer George, running under the rock again. Faced with facts or
    hard questions you are a pathetic coward.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  13. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    I never said they were going out of business. I said the SD-9 is NOT
    MAKING MONEY. Nor will the SD-10.

    But it's up to YOU to show the numbers, not me. You're the Foveon/Sigma
    dunce.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  14. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    George shows Canon shots taken at f/3.5 v. Sigma shots taken at f/16 ...
    this so that he can say "look, the Canon is blurry". Or, shots with
    poorly chosen plane of focus (eg: headshots with tight DOF and the focus
    plane not at the eyes).

    The only way to do this is one independant tester. 10D beside SD-9 and
    SD-10. With real scenes, real test targets and identical shooting
    parameters for all three rigs.

    Prime lenses only such as the Sigma 105 and Canon 100 (both f/2.8's)
    would be best. Manual focus in both cases (we're testing the sensor,
    not the AF).

    This is something George would hate to see happen as his fragile house
    of cards will tumble in a heap.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  15. George Preddy

    Junque Guest

    From the OED

    pixel /, / n. Electronics
    any of the minute areas of uniform illumination of which an image on a
    display screen is composed.
    [abbreviation of picture element: cf. pix1]

    Since the three detectors at each intersection on the SD9 sensor are
    behind each other they can only be counted as ONE pixel each.

    Junque, Dec 17, 2003
  16. George Preddy

    Chris Brown Guest

    The "K" bit might prove tricky. ;-)

    Anyway, it does seem that SteveGeorge has a rather over-simplistic view of
    colour representation, and there are plenty of colours which we can see, but
    which can't be specified in terms of amounts of red, green and blue light.

    Chris Brown, Dec 17, 2003
  17. George Preddy

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Alan... got a little too much time one your hands?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 17, 2003
  18. George Preddy

    Gavin Cato Guest

    I'm talking about my own D1h pics, I haven't seen anything of the same
    quality from the SD9.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 17, 2003
  19. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <brpf5c$gbu$>,
    You mean, a sensor that recorded how much light at each of 100 different
    bands for each pixel wouldn't do better, if it didn't suffer in
    sensitivity?

    JPS, Dec 17, 2003
  20. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    He did it all wrong. He should have bonded with SteveGeorge for a week
    or so, and then pulled the carpet of support out from under him all at
    once.

    JPS, Dec 17, 2003