SD9s now selling for 1/3rd the price of the 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. What options does your SD9/10 give you?

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003

  2. If there is CA there, it is way too blury to categorize one way or the
    other. Another advantage of Bayer, the pic is so blurry you can't really
    see lens defects. Only Bayer users would call that an advantage, and many
    do.
    You don't see all that optical funk on the underside? Are your standards
    that low? Could explain our differences.

    http://www.pbase.com/image/18265620

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003

  3. And on the top, good Lord.
    Bayers can't image a smooth gradient to save their very pricey lives

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  4. That's all it takes, when you accuse me of saying what, in fact, the leading
    mind in digital imaging said.

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Until you accidentally fall into one of their camera's pictures.

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  6.
    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  7. The pictures "show," you whine about how life is unfair...
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_05/essay.html

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  8. True, 1969 is when Foveon's Dr. Mead invented the monochrome sensor elements
    now used in Bayers.
    But it is the definition, so you are plainly wrong.

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Foveon's donkey would have 3 full length legs interpolated to 12, using the
    same degree of interpolation Bayers use to stretch their 3 stubby 1/3rd
    length legs to full length.

    Obviously, it is the perfect analogy, I'm so glad you asked.

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  10. <chuckle> I wasn't talking about options, I was talking about your comical
    "same degree of interpolation as all Bayers do" foolishness.

    (And I'm really uninterested in your feeble attempts to defend your
    misunderstanding.)

    Albert Nurick, Dec 20, 2003
  11. 4:1 interpolation, that's precisely what Bayers use, 6M pixels from 1.5M RGB
    samples. The SD9/10's interpolated mode (yuck) outputs14MP from 3.4M RGB
    samples.

    George Preddy, Dec 20, 2003
  12. George Preddy

    JPS Guest

    In message <bs0esh$f4c$>,
    The color shift is radial, and therefore, clearly a property of the
    lens.
    No, that's how you want it to work, but that's not how it works. You
    can see CA quite clearly with Bayer cameras.
    I see posterization all over the image; this image is a perfect example
    of why you should do all your processing in as high a bit depth as
    possible. It may have been under-exposed, as well. I don't know why
    you singled out the umbrella. Posterization has nothing to do with
    optics.
    I didn't say that I liked this picture, either technically or
    photographically. I simply did not know why you were singling out the
    underside of the umbrella, which is in the shadows of a posterized image
    and is JPG compressed; hardly an area to start thinking of "optical"
    problems.

    JPS, Dec 20, 2003
  13. George Preddy

    Junque Guest

    Junque, Dec 20, 2003
  14. George Preddy

    Noel Guest

    And you find that your skin has turned a bizarre shade of yellow and
    your hair has suddenly grown blue streaks ;-)

    Noel, Dec 20, 2003
  15. George Preddy

    Noel Guest

    He never claimed parity. He claimed it was 'approaching medium format
    quality'. I could be in Sydney, Australia and claim to be approaching
    London, England right after my flight takes off from Sydney.
    'Approaching' is meaningless marketing drivel.

    Noel, Dec 20, 2003
  16. Sort of like The Simpson's merge with The Twilight Zone?

    Darrell Larose, Dec 20, 2003
  17. George Preddy

    Bill M Guest

    Here's the whole message George:
    Now where did I accuse you of anything? You really just see what you
    want to see...learn to read...

    Also, nice snip job again...ignore the parts you don't want to see.

    I know you'll ignore it again...you play coward when confronted...that
    or spout your numbers game. You really are a one trick pony...and your
    trick sucks.

    Bill M, Dec 20, 2003
  18. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    Make that losses from sales. There is no way they're turning profit at
    the prices they're letting these go at.

    If there were a US manufacturer of D-SLR's they would have filed dumping
    charges against Sigma by now. I don't know if Canon or Nikon could
    legally do so?

    It's funny that George has to always refer us to the Sigma site though,
    isn't it?

    Alan Browne, Dec 20, 2003
  19. George Preddy

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Got proof?

    Whether Sigma is making a profit... or breaking even ... or losing money...
    there's gonna be a bunch of people looking to buy SA mount lenses in the
    future.
    And if a frog had wings...
    They aren't made in the US either.
    Why do you think that's funny?

    Fromage, Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 20, 2003
  20. George Preddy

    Alan Browne Guest

    ....this sub thread has lost its intent... the intent was clarify to
    Mighty George P. that the 3X factor has nothing to do with the
    resolution of the Foveon... not that George is capable of understanding.

    Alan Browne, Dec 22, 2003