  1. John

    derek / nul Guest

    SCSI has not failed, its in every server.

    derek / nul, Aug 4, 2004

  2. John

    David R Guest

    I don't know what my secret is but I'm running Windows XP with SIIG
    SCSI card. I'm always plugging things in and out and with very little
    trouble. I have a external zip drive, HP Scanjet 5p, Minolta
    Elite-2900, and a HP 7450. Really I find SCSI as simple as USB. SCSI
    rocks over USB 1.

    Wish I could be of more help.

    David R, Aug 4, 2004

  3. I'm using SCSI devices for ages. I have two CD drives (reader/writer)
    and an external SCSI scanner, sometimes an external ZIP or (no longer
    used) a streamer attched to the same chain and never had any problems.
    on another system there are SCSI drives, SCSI ZIP and SCSI DVD-R. No
    problems too.
    Neither under Windows, nor Linux or even DOS.

    USB, however, is an awful thing, requires LOTS of resources (big,
    complicated drivers, huge CPU usage) and, well, the theoretical speed is
    - theoretical. Two devices and you might be lost.

    Use an USB mouse and an USB scanner at the same time and chances are
    you're messing things up.

    Well, USB is the cheap solution - in _every_ aspect.

    Grossibaer

    Jens-Michael Gross, Aug 5, 2004
  4. John

    Ross Boylan Guest

    Since I've just been struggling with USB, I think I can contribute a few points.
    As someone else already pointed out, the USB rates are in bits (Mb).
    SCSI is probably in bytes--that's the way you've written it (MB).

    USB has a max rate of 12Mb. I've read several sources saying actual
    throughput will be much lower, like 2Mb. I'm not sure if USB 2 has
    the same ratio of actual/max.

    For what it's worth in terms of the usability discussion, I've had no
    luck getting a printer to work with USB on Linux, though my USB
    scanner worked fine.

    Ross Boylan, Oct 3, 2004