script slowing down system?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sammy, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. sammy

    sammy Guest

    hey,

    for the past two weeks or so my system has been running slowly when i'm
    online. i'm using windows xp home edition with a broadband connection. it
    used to fly. websites are taking way too long to download.

    i have just started to receive the following message in a pop-up windows
    box:

    "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it
    continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to
    abort the script?"

    My computer HAS become unresponsive lately and this is increasing in
    frequency. I have to go to the task manager to "end program" to resuscitate
    it.

    any idea what's going on and how i can remedy the problem?

    thanks,

    sammy

    sammy, Jul 18, 2007

  2. Run a good antivirus and run a good antispyware. And stop using Internet
    Explorer. Go to groups.google.com to look over the many responses to
    pretty much the same question from past postings.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 18, 2007

  3. sammy

    John \C\ Guest

    Take XP off and install 98SE or ME.

    HJ

    John \C\, Jul 19, 2007
  4. sammy

    sammy Guest

    does anyone have any idea what "scripts" are involved. is it stuff like
    active x or java or what?

    sammy, Jul 19, 2007
  5. sammy

    John \C\ Guest

    Honestly, I don't know. I seems that the guys that know are being "asses"
    and won't tell you. All I can tell you is that I have 4 machines and put XP
    one one of them and that machine runs at 25% the speed as the other three
    which have 98SE and ME on them.

    I hope that someone that has tech. knowledge will be willing to help you
    out.

    HJ

    p.s. I hate Vista even more!

    John \C\, Jul 19, 2007
  6. I gave him a reasonable answer, he chose to ignore it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  7. sammy

    sammy Guest

    here is roger's reasonable answer:
    roger, i suppose your answer was "reasonable," but it told me exactly
    nothing. please post a few of the "many responses" from "much the same
    question past postings." i couldn't find anything on point myself, at least
    nothing that made sense.

    so, as i said, i did a search in groups and came up with very little.

    i run: etrust pest patrol, spy sweeper and ez antivurus. i have done sweeps
    with all of them. they have not uncovered any problems.

    now, what do you know about SCRIPTS, like the error message tells me is the
    problem?

    if you don't know, you don't know. nothing to be ashamed off. jeez. touchy.

    sammy, Jul 19, 2007
  8. You didn't exactly mention that until this point.
    The only time I've received a message like that was in some, err, adult
    sites. Which I prompty navigated away from and didn't go back again.
    I don't know. I do know that my extra little bit of advice of not using
    Internet Explorer still stands. But in the meantime, why don't you look
    over this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

    I would also make sure the cache is flushed, double flushed and triple
    flushed. And your overall slowdown may not be directly related to this
    script problem, this may just be the most obvious red flag.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  9. I have had some problems with scripts lately, seems it helped to use IE
    instead of FF, and then I tried Deepnet, it allows one to turn off
    javascripts and active x from a menu click. Don't seem to cause many script
    errors that way. Deepnet is very similar to IE, and uses the convenient tab
    system. I use AVG, Spybot S&D, and Adaware because they're free and they
    work. I still haven't found out the scripts that always caused me trouble in
    FF. I think Gooblebar was the culprit because I had to reinstall and the
    script stalling didn't seem to start until then. I couldn't believe how much
    faster everything was with W2000 after reinstalling. All those fonts, extra
    programs resident , and not to mention the thousands of necessary updates
    had clogged my system. Unbelievable. Even Ccleaner didn't make much
    difference. That's the best way to speed up. Get Regcleaner 4.3 or use
    msconfig to see what garbage you have on your pc. Lots of stuff can be
    offloaded for later use and you can get pretty good speedup that way. Takes
    a bit of knowledge, I do it for people sometimes.

    --
    Tommy
    REMOVETHIStmccREMOVETHISAThalDASHpcDOTorg change everything capitalized to

    Tommy McClure, Jul 19, 2007
  10. Umm, that is sort of backwards, innit?
    So does any modern browser, such as Firefox, Opera ... If you consider
    adding the Firefox/SeaMonkey extension PrefBar, then JavaScript, Java,
    Flash, whatever is a checkbox right there in front of you.
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    Deepnet is a *shell* over IE, so sure it is similar. <g> ..and most
    likely with all the IE insecurities. I find it funny that the
    deepnetexplorer.com web site claims: "Full IE Compatibility"

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 19, 2007
  11. sammy

    John \C\ Guest

    John \C\, Jul 19, 2007
  12. Thank you for your precision, Bueregard, very informative.
    It seem backassward to me too, but I still report just the facts , mam. FF
    has been driving me crazy with these script stallings.
    You wouldn't know if there are scripts other than java, active x?
    I see we started an OT flame. LOL

    toner

    Tommy McClure, Jul 19, 2007
  13. [Please snip signatures like this one when you reply. Thanks.]
    It's time for you to provide a link or three to pages that give you this
    problem with "scripts". Can't do any further diagnoses without seeing
    the disease.
    There are lots of "scripts". JavaScript. PHP. VBScript. Perl. Java
    applets (Java and JavaScript are two entirely different things). ActiveX
    is an IE only malady, unless you really go out of your way to add
    extensions to other browsers that will run it (them). ActiveX is a
    Windows version of an applet that normally has free access to your whole
    OS.

    You *may* be seeing something as simple as the result of a coding error
    on the page(s) in question. For example, I code most of my web pages
    using PHP scripts. If I were to have:

    echo "<h1>Heading of page</h1>"
    echo "<p>A paragraph of content...</p>";

    ...this would produce a "script" error, due to the missing semi-colon at
    the end of the first line. You may have the IE options to "show
    scripting errors" and/or "enable debugging.." turned off, and therefore
    think IE is working whereas Firefox is not.
    Not yet... :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 19, 2007
  14. sammy <[email protected]> pinched out a steaming pile
    Try a crtl+alt+del key combo and see whats running?

    :)

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 19, 2007
  15. sammy

    Fred Hall Guest

    Good to see you're still whining about me, Dishonest John.
    How does it feel to be a powerless, pathetic example of a false
    christian scum?

    Fred Hall, Aug 1, 2007
  16. Fred Hall <> pinched out a steaming pile
    According to HJ, you're like 71 & shit...I'm bettin yer only 61 :)

    69 tops...

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 1, 2007
  17. sammy

    John \C\ Guest

    Feels good "Trailer-Trash" Hall.

    HJ

    John \C\, Aug 1, 2007
  18. sammy

    John \C\ Guest

    Lake Dallas "near" enough?

    Why don't you invite your dear friend Okie to view your old trailer from
    satellite?

    All he has to do is go to Google then click on "maps" then cut and paste the
    following in the search blank:

    50 Pecan st, Lake Dallas, TX 75065

    Then click on satellite, "X" out the center comment space, and start zooming
    into that humongous 162 trailer "Trailer Park". When zoomed-in all the way
    the green pointer points to where your mail box is. Say isn't that you just
    to the right of your trailer pissing on your dog's head?

    Your Pal,
    HJ

    John \C\, Aug 3, 2007