Screws for Toolless Drive Bays

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nzschooltech, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. nzschooltech

    nzschooltech Guest

    These are screws with straight sided heads i.e. like a round head screw
    except that instead of the head being spherical in appearance it's

    Compaq have used these screws for years in their toolless drive bays,
    the screws are screwed into the sides of the drive before the drive is
    installed into the bay and the screws slide in grooves to position the
    drive in the bay, there is also a locking mechanism locking against a
    screw head to keep the drive in the bay.

    There are three different types that Compaq uses: silver for HDDs, black
    for CD ROMs and a wide flanged one that is sometimes used with HDDs also.

    It so happens other manufacturers are starting to use these screws e.g.
    Foxconn (TS01/TS001 chassis) but there does not seem to be a ready
    supply of them other than from the manufacturer or raiding old Compaq

    Does anyone know of a supplier for these screws, this seems to be by far
    the best solution for toolless bays as many other types require a
    special rail which has to be bought from the case manufacturer.
    nzschooltech, Nov 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. nzschooltech

    Richard Guest

    In compaqs they use the same screws to hold the motherboard in so what I
    have done is to just swap the mo-bo screws over to standard ones and
    then use the ones I removed to hold the drive.

    I was working on a mates newish compaq machine, and the weird thing with
    it was that they had the same way of holding the drives, but the screws
    were a philips head instead of the usual torx head they have used.
    Thought that was a bit of a step backwards myself.
    Richard, Nov 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. nzschooltech

    Kent Smith Guest

    I though it ironic when cannibalising some old pc's once that the only thing
    of any value was the screws. :)

    Kent Smith, Nov 22, 2006
  4. nzschooltech

    Don Hills Guest

    In Wellington, you could try Schrodoco in upper Tory st.
    Don Hills, Nov 22, 2006
  5. nzschooltech

    Earl Grey Guest

    These guys probably trash a lot of Compaqs
    Earl Grey, Nov 22, 2006
  6. Cheesehead, cheese-head, or cheese head.

    That's not an insult by the way, just the common name for that type of
    screw head. Presumably because it is the same shape as a head of cheese.
    Roger Johnstone, Nov 22, 2006
  7. nzschooltech

    Richard Guest

    They aren't cheese heads, the head is a perfect cylinder, no radius or
    doming of the top.

    You can sort of make them out in this picture here
    Richard, Nov 22, 2006
  8. Roger Johnstone, Nov 23, 2006
  9. nzschooltech

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Nov 23, 2006
  10. I have never heard anyone call the screw in that picture a cheese head
    before. It's difficult to tell from the picture but it's probably a pan
    or dome head.

    Wikipedia has a picture showing
    several types of screw heads in profile. Unfortunately it doesn't show a
    cheese head, but the article does describe one as "disc with cylindrical
    outer edge, height approximately half the head diameter."
    Roger Johnstone, Nov 23, 2006
  11. nzschooltech

    jasen Guest

    jasen, Nov 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.