    well...... I tried to install ie6 with ie6setup.exe on xp32 but was told a
    newer version was detected.

    thanks!

    RobR, May 27, 2005

  2. At this point, I'd be strongly inclined to do a clean install -- wipe the
    partition. But you could try doing a repair install with 32-bit Windows XP.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005

  3. You could try the repair install but I doubt it will do you much good at
    this point.

    I would agree with Charlie in that a clean install is the best way to go,
    maybe set yourself up for a dual boot with multiple partitions while you
    are at it. Salvage any data you have before doing so of course, you should
    still be able to get to that

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 27, 2005
  4. RobR

    RobR Guest

    Thanks, but the only files that have an issue are under \program files, it's
    not like I installed it to the same
    windows directory. I ended up just copying the outlook express, IE, shared
    files and messenger directories from another x32 machine (after renaming the
    ones on my machine to x64 just in case) and it appears everything is fully
    functional again.

    RobR, May 27, 2005
  5. I would strongly urge you to now use this opportunity to do a full backup of
    everything important. And personally, I would not be comfortable running with
    it like this for very long. Too many subtle things may be amiss that could
    cause you problems. And you're definitely not in a "supported" scenario. But
    I'm glad you've got it working enough to be able to do that full backup.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2005
  6. I'm 100% with Charlie on this. While you can, minimize the pain of the
    situation and backup your data and spend a day rebuilding the machine. You
    will thank yourself later.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 31, 2005
  7. RobR

    RobR Guest

    I guess I don't get all the fear, uncertainty and doubt about this.... I
    didn't touch
    the registry on the old install, I didn't touch the windows directory, I've
    set
    the ms specific program files directories back to XP32 versions. I haven't
    had a single
    glitch, problem or error since, and this machine is used very heavily. I've
    been around NT since 3.1 beta (beta ID 131889) and try to fix things if
    I break them, rather than start over from scratch. If something comes up
    down the road, then it's something to consider I suppose, but in the
    meantime, all is well.

    RobR, Jun 1, 2005
  8. RobR

    Aldo Bleeker Guest

    I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I thought you installed XP x64 to the
    partiton where XP x32 was installed. I'd have thought this would totally
    rewrite both the Registry and the Windows folder, as well as the Program
    files folder! Yet you say you haven't touched neither the Registry nor
    the Windows directory. Am I missing something here?

    Anyway, why don't you want to do a clean install? As it is now, when
    something goes wrong, you'll never know if it isn't the patched
    installation that's causing it. You can't just keep patching stuff, and
    hope for the best. This is an accident waiting to happen, an number of
    experts and even MS themselves said so.

    Aldo Bleeker

    Aldo Bleeker, Jun 1, 2005
  9. RobR

    RobR Guest

    the registry is stored within the under the windows %systemroot%
    path, when i installed xp32 to the same partition as xp64, i specified
    a different install directory than the default directory, so xp32
    and xp64 both have their own directories, however any NT/XP install
    will install stuff to \program files, which is what happened.
    so the only files i need to worry about are anything in
    \program files. the two operating systems are in isolated locations
    other than that. I've solved the problem entirely to my
    satisfaction and I don't think this is a disaster waiting to
    happen at all (unless someone wants to give me a specific,
    technical explanation of something I've missed).

    Reinstalling is a pain in the ass and is best avoided at all
    costs. It takes days to get my system back up to speed
    with all my applications and development environment, and
    as I see it, there's no real reason to. If things start blowing
    up inexplicably, I'll reconsider then, but I honestly don't
    expect any problems (again unless I've missed something,
    and if I have, please educate me on the specifics).

    RobR, Jun 5, 2005