Screenshot comparisons of all versions of Windows Media Player!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. kenny

    kenny Guest

    kenny, Jan 17, 2006

  2. kenny

    Doc Guest

    Doc, Jan 17, 2006

  3. WMP is freeware ;)

    Rolf Barbakken, Jan 17, 2006
  4. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Actually version 8 cannot be called freeware, since you had to get XP to
    have it...
    In other words you had to pay for windows if you wanted to go from ver 7 to
    8.
    There was never a download for 8.

    But the others since they can be installed on other versions of windows and
    downloaded .. they are freeware.

    I wanted to make this page, because there is much confusion about
    media player 8 9 and 10. Some dont even know that they are different
    versions!
    It just let them know what version they have from the screenshots and what
    they can upgrade to, and it is interesting to see how a program evolved.

    Who would imagine when the first media player was made that there would
    come the internet revolution, then the mp3 revolution, and now movie and tv
    show
    downloads with broadband connections, and in some places of the world free
    wireless access to the internet! The internet has grown from a text only
    medium to
    a media powerhouse!

    Its truly a boom of computing... :)

    kenny, Jan 17, 2006
  5. kenny

    Dan Evans Guest

    You don't have to pay for the new versions? ISTR that it works under Wine.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jan 17, 2006
  6. What about version 9? I have WMP 9 on Windows 2000 Pro.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2006
  7. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Windows 2000 pro did not come with WMP9 but with MP 6.4

    You have already updraded to the best you can get...

    kenny, Jan 17, 2006
  8. kenny wrote:

    [top-posting fixed]
    Of course. I know that.
    ...but .. but .. you said I would have to buy XP to advance beyond
    version 7.

    Please trim signatures when replying. Thanks.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2006
  9. kenny

    The Seabat Guest

    No......he said that you had to 'pay' for version 8, not that that you
    couldn't advance beyond that!

    The Seabat, Jan 17, 2006
  10. No, he said "you had to pay for *windows* if you wanted to go from ver 7
    to 8." [emphasis mine]

    I didn't have to pay for version 8. Or version 9. Or Windows XP. I did
    purchase Windows 2000 about 6-7 years ago. Further, he says I "had to
    get XP to have it"... I certainly don't have XP with my WMP version 8 or
    9.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2006
  11. kenny

    boots66 Guest

    boots66, Jan 17, 2006
  12. kenny

    kenny Guest

    tell me.. can you get version 8 on your machine without paying for xp?

    I did not say you could not get 9... I said 8.

    8 is available only for XP and if you install service pack 2 you are
    upgraded to 9 weather you want it or not.

    kenny, Jan 17, 2006
  13. kenny

    kenny Guest

    I am afraid my experience with Classic was not that good.

    It installed a codec that did not allow thumbnails to be created on XP for
    MPG videos..(they appeared black). I had to search for several hours until I
    found what happened, since I installed classic a long time before I noticed
    this.

    I dont want to discourage you from giving it a spin...Make a restore point
    before installing and you will be safe. That was an older version of classic
    I used. Perhaps now they fixed that codec problem. I use WMP10... it does
    what I need.

    Apparently classic can be made to play Real media and Quick time media.
    See the following links:

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

    Thanks for the pointer on the typo....

    kenny, Jan 17, 2006
  14. You want me to downgrade just to test this? No thanks.
    Sorry, no XP will ever be installed on any of my computers.

    Please don't top-post.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2006
  15. kenny

    mbmack Guest

    I have wmp9 on my win98se laptop but can't put wmp10 because it says I
    have to have xp. Juat clarifying it a bit i guess.

    mbmack, Jan 18, 2006
  16. kenny

    The Seabat Guest

    Then you never had version 8, did ya?

    The Seabat, Jan 18, 2006
  17. I would swear I had v.8 on my old box.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  18. That could be said for a lot of freeware and for software made for other
    platforms as well :)

    Rolf Barbakken, Jan 18, 2006
  19. kenny

    boots66 Guest

    Oops, forgot to mention I'm running Win 2K. I may give it a try, tho.
    You're welcome. I can't help it; proofing is part of my job. ;)

    boots66, Jan 18, 2006