    Hello all - can you tell me how it is possible to access the information on
    my computer if the screensaver password has been changed? The OS is Win 95.

    Thanks in advance.

    Den, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Den

    Harrison Guest

    Delete the file "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PASSWORD.CPL". This should disable
    your screen saver password.

    Harrison, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Den

    Harrison, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Den

    Den Guest

    Delete the file "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PASSWORD.CPL". This should disable
    I am not sure how to do that - I cannot seem to get past the password when
    the machine starts up to delete any files - Is there another way round this
    problem?

    Cheers

    Den, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Den

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, ask the person that set or changed the password.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Den

    Jerry G. Guest

    Start the machine on the boot floppy that is used for the start of a new
    installation. It should come up with a dos prompt, asking for the CD
    operating system disk. At this point, you can manualy navigate to the file.

    If you were to make a batch file from the text below, and put it on the boot
    floppy, and then execute it, this should do it for you, if all complies. If
    you make a batch file, then name the file DELPASS.BAT Run it from the
    A: drive when at the prompt. After it is done, then reboot the machine
    as normal.

    If this is difficult for you, show this to someone who has a background in
    dealing with the operating system. They will know what to do from all of
    this.

    --

    C:
    CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Nov 29, 2003
  7. Den

    °Mike° Guest

    Don't give up your day job. You've just told him to
    delete a Control Panel file!

    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Den

    Juan Pérez Guest

    As °Mike° said to Jerry G., who said this:
    ">DEL PASSWORD.CPL

    °Mike° said:
    "Don't give up your day job. You've just told him to
    delete a Control Panel file!"

    Who could have said it any better?

    In

    Juan Pérez, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Den

    M Mullen Guest

    |> >C:
    |> >CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    |> >DEL PASSWORD.CPL
    |>
    |> Don't give up your day job. You've just told him to
    |> delete a Control Panel file!

    Now that's kinda funny.

    |> >If this is difficult for you, show this to someone who has a background in
    |> >dealing with the operating system. They will know what to do from all of
    |> >this.

    Humm Joe seems as tho someones trying to install the verbatim virus.

    Win95 is a pretty unsecure system. Look for files ending with the PWD extension.
    My login password would be mmullen.pwd, just by deleting or RENAMEing this file
    I'd be asked for another password on startup and I'd be in.
    look for maybe scrnsvr.pwd AND RENAME it.

    M Mullen, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Den

    °Mike° Guest

    BZZZZZZZT!! Another one that needs to hang on to their
    day job. Windows password files are *.pwl .

    Screensaver passwords are most likely kept separately,
    and almost certainly in the registry.

    And you should have addressed this to the original poster,
    not me.

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003
  11. Den

    M Mullen Guest

    |> Hello all - can you tell me how it is possible to access the information on
    |> my computer if the screensaver password has been changed? The OS is Win 95.
    |>
    |> Thanks in advance.

    It's appears I errored in a previous post <gasp>.
    Lets just cut to the chase, double click on this link:
    http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-bin/freedownload/Windows/m/132/winpass.zip
    read the help file and your on your own.
    I take absolutely no responsibility with your or anybody else's use of this
    file.

    M Mullen, Dec 1, 2003
  12. Den

    M Mullen Guest

    |> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:35:38 -0800, in
    |> <>
    |> M Mullen scrawled:

    |> >Now that's kinda funny.

    |> >Humm Joe seems as tho someones trying to install the verbatim virus.
    |> >

    |> >Win95 is a pretty unsecure system. Look for files ending with
    |> >the PWD extension. My login password would be mmullen.pwd,
    |> >just by deleting or RENAMEing this file I'd be asked for another
    |> >password on startup and I'd be in. look for maybe scrnsvr.pwd
    |> >AND RENAME it.
    |>
    |> BZZZZZZZT!! Another one that needs to hang on to their
    |> day job. Windows password files are *.pwl .

    I was sure it was a pwd file, it's been along while since Win95

    |> Screensaver passwords are most likely kept separately,
    |> and almost certainly in the registry.

    Now it does appear to be kept in the registry, I've don't use a screen saver, a
    hold over from my AmigA days. Just too much overhead.

    |> And you should have addressed this to the original poster,
    |> not me.

    I was just following a thread, hit three people with this one, your in there
    somewhere.

    But ya I sent the OP a file link. If he forgot his screen saver password it will
    retrieve it, If it's to restrict his access he won't be able to use it.

    M Mullen, Dec 1, 2003