    Registry repair softwares, checking .dbx files, etc. I'm out of ideas and
    about ready to throw the PC out the window and get a MAC. Thanks for any
    help.

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006

  2. When did this problem start? .. do you recall installing a specific piece of
    software that might have caused this? or if you don't remember WHAT you
    installed, if you remember at least WHEN it started, try doing a Windows
    System Restore back to the time when you remember it working. I've had the
    System Restore save me quite a few times from software conflict mishaps.

    Other than that, I think it will be pretty hard to figure out exactly what's
    causing the crash.

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006

  3. mistuh

    mistuh Guest

    This started when =my= PC crashed, about two weeks ago. Upon getting the
    Windows OS reinstalled, the problem with Outlook Exp and the screensaver
    started almost immediately. Prior to the crash, and prior to the reinstall,
    this was =never= a problem for me, so Systems Restore won't work for me
    here.. :(

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006
  4. That's pretty interesting that you're having the same exact problem after a
    reinstall. I'm assuming that your reinstall did involve a an actual format
    of the drive and a clean install, and not just a repair install, right?

    Also, have you installed all the windows updates? there are quite a few for
    outlook express that may resolve the problem.
    Oh one more thing, at what point is OE freezing? when the screen saver
    initiates? or just the fact that it's enabled, and if it is the former, does
    it freeze outlook express on any specific screen savers? (i.e, maybe the
    OpenGL ones?) ...

    just try to narrow down the problem..

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  5. mistuh

    mistuh Guest

    No, it's not the same exact problem *after* a reinstall, because there WAS
    NO problem like this, prior to the reinstall. My PC crashed and burned for
    sure, but it wasn't the OE issue that precipitated it (I clicked on a BAD
    link in another newsgroup, and THAT f'ed me up but GOOD). And yes, OE
    freezes up as soon as the screensaver kicks in....doesn't matter if it kicks
    in after TWO minutes or THIRTY minutes. I suppose i could just keep the
    screensaver OFF, but I kinda LIKE using it...this hasn't been an issue in
    the three years i've been using Windows XP.

    I've used several screensavers, including the ones that came pre-packaged
    with the OE software, all resulting in the same freeze-up issue. I
    appreciate your help, btw.

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006
  6. mistuh

    tom Guest

    I developed the same problem with OE on my Dell. I ended up setting my
    screen saver to kick in after 9999 mins (about a week) and set up my
    monitor, under "power options", to turn off after 10 mins and resolved the
    problem. Not really a fix, but it did solve my problem.

    tom, Mar 19, 2006
  7. mistuh

    JANA Guest

    Try checking the error logs to see if there is anything in there that may
    give a clue to what is happening.

    There may be a combination of things that happened with updates of some
    type. This type of problem without some involved research may be difficult
    to find. For sure it must have to do with the combination of a number of
    factors in your particular computer, since most others don't have this type
    of fault.

    One way to see if there is a resident software that can be causing the fault
    is to run MSconfig and disable everything you don't need. If the problem
    goes away, you can then put everything back, one at a time until the fault
    happens again. This should lead you to the offending software.

    Another thing to try, is to turn off all the power saving options, and see
    if the fault still occurs.

    If all the above does not solve the problem, try uninstalling the display
    card to rid of its drivers. Use the generic Windows drivers to see if the
    fault occurs.

    One way to also not have the display drivers is to try the computer in the
    safe mode. I think the screen saver will not work on their own in the safe
    mode. I never tried this. You would probably have to start it manually.

    If you are using an LCD screen, you don't really need a screen saver. The
    LCD screen cannot burn in. It can however, have what is called pixel
    retention. This will go away, if the monitor is left in black or powered
    down for a long enough period. In the LCD display, there are no phosphors as
    like other types of screens that can be burned in.

    As for myself, I have two older computers here, that whenever the power
    saving for the monitor comes on to shut the monitor, the computer may wake
    up with a blue screen, indicating that Windows has had a serious fault, and
    cannot recover. In this case a cold reset is necessary. If I do not use the
    auto monitor power save feature, the computer can run forever. To fix it, I
    don't use the power save option for the monitor. I simply turn the monitor
    off when I am not using the computer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Outlook Exp freezes up every time the screensaver is enabled on my system
    (Windows XP Home). the DELL guy called it a "compatability issue" between
    the screensaver and OExp, and said there's nothing HE could do but recommend
    i call the fee-based DELL service to fix it. and if they CAN'T fix it i
    won't be charged the fee, supposedly. i really don't WANT TO pay a f'ng
    fee, but the only alternative is to reinstall Windows =again= (already did
    it ONCE when my PC crashed a couple weeks ago), and my instinct tells me
    that will be another whole bunch of wasted hours and it =won't= solve the
    problem.

    any thoughts on a possible fix? I've tried seemingly everything: system
    file checker, "repair" (another waste of time but Dell suggested i try that
    option), getting every possible Microsoft update patch, running various

    JANA, Mar 19, 2006
  8. Tom. that's probably a good work around that will actually work. But Mistuh
    seems to want to have the screensaver available. it almost sounds like there
    is some dll conflict that is causing this. .

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  9. Ok . so here's the deal. I think you have 2 options now.
    1- you go with tom's suggestion and do away with the screen saver (which is,
    understandably, not your preference)
    2- the other option would be to reinstall.
    I have a couple theories on the second option:
    if In fact your OE is crashing immediately after a fresh XP install,
    then my guess is that there might be some driver that might be causing the
    issue. Im' not sure what kind of Dell you have. but if upon install, Windows
    is detecting your video card drivers, then your hardware is old enough to
    have drivers in the XP distro. in order to troubleshoot and/or narrow down
    the problem, you would have to do a fresh install, with nothing at all
    installed (not even windows updates, or MS provided drivers) ... then test
    your screensaver. then install the MS provided drivers (or if you don't even
    intend using those, install your Dell video drivers), and then test with
    those. basically you need to try to isolate the problem at every step. I
    know It's real pain to do this, unfortunately, I think this is the only way
    you're going to be able to narrow down the problem.

    I'm not sure if there are any tools that would detect such conflict, and
    especially if the fault is being generated from hard driver. if someone out
    there knows anything about this though, please feel free to post...

    Oh.. I just got another idea.... at this point, I have a feeling that your
    problem is with your video somehow... driver, hardware.. not sure... but you
    can try to reduce your video card acceleration and see if that makes any
    difference:
    go to your display properties / Settings / Advanced / Troubleshoot (Tab) .
    My guess is that your setting is currently set to Full , try to temporarily
    change it to none, and see if the behavior changes. (do this before you
    reinstall XP .... maybe that will solve the problem :)

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  10. Learn how to use a newsreader, you idiot.

    Tom Eckersley, Mar 19, 2006
  11. mistuh

    Mitch Guest

    Nothing here at aqll about simply choosing a good mail program.

    I mean, we'd be glad to have you using a Mac, but what you complained
    about is that you have a minor conflict -- why not just avoid the damn
    conflict?

    TURN OFF THE SCREEN SAVER,
    or
    USE A GOOD MAIL PROGRAM.

    Mitch, Mar 19, 2006
  12. mistuh

    Mitch Guest

    Wait, wait, wait.
    Screensavers that come packaged with the mail program?
    What nonsense is this? Does Microsoft really install screen saver
    modules with this mail & news program?

    Or are we talking about something entirely different from a screen
    saver?

    Mitch, Mar 19, 2006
  13. I'm pretty sure he means the ones that come prepackaged with Windows. OE
    doesn't come with any screen savers...

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  14. mistuh

    mistuh Guest

    YES, i'm talking about the ones that come prepackaged with Windows, like the
    animated "MICROSOFT" logo that moves around the screen, for ex. BTW, i
    want to thank all you guys for your tremendous input and thoughts on
    resolving this issue. I =really= appreciate it!! Some of the thoughts are
    way beyond my comfort level in terms of what i think i can handle, but, i'm
    going with the easiest ideas at this point. Obviously i've set the
    screensaver back to around 90 minutes at this point, and since burn-in
    apparently is NOT an issue(?) i guess it's no harm, no foul to set it back
    even MORE. I'm using a Dell Dimension 2350, with a Dell flat panel monitor.
    I don't know if it's an LCD display or not, but i suspect it *is*. The PC
    and monitor are 3+ yrs old, FWIW.

    In the meantime, i'm trying one of the suggestions regarding an adjustment
    on my display properties....i'll let you know if it solves the issue.
    Thanks again to all who are trying to help! :)

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006
  15. Ok. here's my thing... if you don't want to help the guy... you don't have
    to bash him for wanting his screen saver to work. Personally, I wouldn't
    care about my screen saver either. but if he's interested in getting it to
    work, then we'll try and help him.

    Ultimately, he might decide it's too much trouble, and decide to either go
    with a different mail program or turn off his screen saver.

    That's my opinion..

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  16. Tom, take it easy man... it's no big deal... at least he had something
    constructive to say about the situation... what do you have to say?

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  17. Mistuh. no problem. glad we can help... or try :)
    By the way, JANA was correct that LCD don't have a burn in .. but you can
    have dead pixels, but usually isn't caused by the lack of screen saver... (I
    don't think) .

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006
  18. mistuh

    mistuh Guest

    THANKS, i tried this one a few minutes ago, both with and withOUT a restart,
    but it didn't resolve the issue...OE is still freezing up as soon as the
    screensaver comes on. :(

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006
  19. mistuh

    mistuh Guest

    Thanks, George. I think i'll just turn off the screensaver and be *done*
    with it. I don't LIKE the feeling of being forced to eliminate part of a
    program i've been using for 3 years without any difficulty, but it's not the
    end of the world, either. BTW, i *used to* use Thunderbird (briefly) for
    email, but i found it to be too annoying, and went back to OE.

    mistuh, Mar 19, 2006
  20. That's cool. to me, i usually just don't like that fact that there is
    something wrong with my machine... even if I don't use that feature.. but
    that's me being perfectionist, wanting everything to work :)

    Do you happen to have Microsoft Outlook?. if you use OE only for news, there
    are a lot of news readers around that you can use. but if you do like OE's
    interface, then if you switch to Microsoft Oulook , you'll have many
    additional possibilities.... with a relatively similar interface as OE.

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 19, 2006