Screen resolution resets with twin monitors.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NOTTNICK, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    Any ideas here as it is driving me bonkers!

    I have just got myself a brilliant 22" HP widescreen monitor (w2207h).

    As I do a lot of music production work, I am using my old NEC 17"
    monitor alongside on dual view (configured separately so I can have
    different windows on each screen.

    My graphics card has digital out (DVi) and VGA out.(NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200)

    I am using the HP monitor as my primary monitor and this is used on the
    VGA output of my card - it won't work on the digital as the card has
    Dvi out and the monitor only HDMI & VGA, connecting these with a hybrid
    lead does not work at all).

    The NEC is on the DVI link.

    Anyway, my problem is: the HP monitor resets itself to 1280 X 1024 every
    time I start up, and often at other times too.
    It needs to be at 1680 X 1050 and is much better at this resolution.
    The NEC stays fine at 1280 X 1024 all the time.

    NVIDEA card is set appropriately (on latest drivers).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to a fix? The best I can do is a
    shortcut to 'Settings' on the desktop.

    Thanks Nick

    NOTTNICK, Nov 27, 2007

  2. NOTTNICK

    PhotoMan Guest

    I have the w2207 (no h) with DVI & VGA. It's my primary on a 2-display
    setup, connected by DVI. The secondary Acer 20" is connected by VGA, both on
    an N-Vidia GeForce 7200 GS 512 MB PCI-X16 card .The LCD's have the same res.
    The only real issue I have with the 2207 is that when I change the res on
    its mate, the 2207's icons scatter like birdshot. Whether this is related to
    the known buggy HP software is unknown, but there are many online complaints
    about the software. Here's one review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-w2207-lcd-monitor/4505-3174_7-32391039.html I
    wound up uninstalling the s/w and each time I boot the machine the 2207
    auto-adjusts res, which I prefer at the 1680 x 1050 setting anyway. This
    reply is basically an FYI, but I thought I'd share my experience. You might
    try the 'comp.sys.hp.hardware' group as I did about the s/w, but I got no
    replies. It's worth a shot.
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Nov 27, 2007

  3. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    Thanks Joe
    Interesting to see what you say, I thought it might be that I had it on
    VGA rather than DVI.
    Incidentally, I bought an expensive DVI / HDMI hybrid lead and the 2207
    didn't work at all with the other monitor! Terrible flickering (I had to
    re-set graphics drivers / resolution etc. through guesswork) and
    suffering blinding headaches from tring to make out necessary icons on
    the flashing screen!!
    However, when all is said and done, I love the monitor when it is
    working properly and wouldn't change it.

    NOTTNICK, Nov 27, 2007