    my video card has gone bad?

    Any other thoughts?

    Same thing happens if I try booting from the Ubuntu disk.

    RWM, Sep 3, 2007

  2. RWM

    Jim Michaels Guest

    try a different boot manager.

    I ran into a computer once with a video card that would lose sync when
    the connector wasn't positioned correctly. when I screwed the hex
    screws in that are supposed to come out of the card (using pliers), all
    was fine.

    ummm... is your video card screwed into the case? I have run into a few
    that didn't have any screw in the bracket inside the case. both sides
    of the card should be seated into the slot or you will have major
    problems with system stability, possibly burning out the card and maybe
    doing damage to the motherboard, though this doesn't happen often.

    ------------------------------------
    Jim Michaels
    for email, edit the address

    "Because we do not understand the brain very well we are constantly
    tempted to use the latest technology as a model for trying to understand
    it. In my childhood we were always assured that the brain was a
    telephone switchboard. ('What else could it be?') I was amused to see
    that Sherrington, the great British neuroscientist, thought that the
    brain worked like a telegraph system. Freud often compared the brain to
    hydraulic and electro-magnetic systems. Leibniz compared it to a mill,
    and I am told some of the ancient Greeks thought the brain functions
    like a catapult. At present, obviously, the metaphor is the digital
    computer." - John R Searls.

    Jim Michaels, Sep 6, 2007

  3. RWM

    BS Guest

    Try swapping out the monitor first. Look at the video card secondly. Since
    you get a brief picture, it sounds more hardware related than your video
    drivers. Can you boot the computer into safemode? That will force Windows to
    use the old vga driver.

    BS, Sep 6, 2007