Scientifically prove to be Britain's most beautiful woman!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 15, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, May 15, 2012

  2. RichA

    Me Guest

    This news is very surprising.
    Surprising because this "news" is at least a couple of decades out of date.

    Me, May 15, 2012

  3. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    While facial symmetry is one of the things we judge beauty on, not
    having any obvious asymmetry would look very strange to us, almost
    ugly. Try doing the old experiment of taking a picture of a face, crop
    out one side, flip the other and put it in place of what you cropped
    out. It will look "interesting"

    TheRealSteve, May 16, 2012
  4. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I think a more intreresting varation is to swap the eyes or invert
    them.
    Invert the lips and things start looking really odd. I fyoy do all the
    above and turn the photo upside down
    I think you can still reconginse the person but they look odd.

    Whisky-dave, May 16, 2012
  5. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    See for example the casting of the elves in Lord of the Rings.
    You can create left reflection or right reflection portraits of most
    people that look different enough to be two individuals. Simple trick in
    photoshop provided they are staring down a 100mm or longer lens.

    Martin Brown, May 17, 2012
  6. RichA

    otter Guest

    You also have to factor in lateness of night, and blood alcohol level.

    otter, May 17, 2012
  7. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Humans are very adept at detecting facial symmetry. When selecting
    partners, bi-lateral symmetry, including facial symmetry, indicates
    less genetic problems and less exposure to environmental stresses like
    disease, toxins, accidents, etc. So we judge greater symmetry as more
    desirable, i.e., beautiful. But only to the point where perfect
    symmetry is reached. Since we are so good at percieving symmetry, and
    since no person every born has perfect symmetry, a perfect symmetrical
    face would look unnatural.

    You need to do the experiment for yourself. Using photoshop, gimp, or
    whatever editor you like, take a face that you consider beautiful (one
    that probably has a very high degree of symmetry) and edit it so the
    face is perfectly symmetrical. I.e., take the left side, flip it
    vertically and place it over the right side. You'll be surprised at
    the results.

    TheRealSteve, May 19, 2012
  8. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    If you're looking at real faces, you haven't seen a perfectly
    symmetrical one.
    Misalignment in the process above can cause a beautiful face to turn
    ugly. You have to place the halves so that the eyes are the same
    distance apart in the processed image as the original. IOW, cut and
    flip the image exactly between the two eyes. If you do that, you're
    not misaligning the two halves.

    TheRealSteve, May 20, 2012
  9. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Exactly. They may look beautiful to you but they still look unnatural.
    They don't look like a picture of a real face. Not even a picture of a
    really beautiful real face.
    You can't rotate the halves. You have to mirror image them.

    TheRealSteve, May 21, 2012
  10. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    If you had a photo lineup of computer generated perfectly symmetrical
    faces vs. pictures of real faces that are considered beautiful, you
    would be able to tell which are which. And if not, maybe your powers
    of observation are just not that developed.
    The only time you would need to rotate the flipped half is if the
    original picture was not vertical.

    TheRealSteve, May 22, 2012
  11. RichA

    TrimmerNZ

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    WTF?

    This would make me laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous. Science can't measure beauty because beauty is subjective. Symmetry is not necessarily beauty. In fact I personally find perfectly symmetrical faces extremely boring, and far from "beautiful". I didn't find the girl in the video particularly beautiful either. Granted, she wasn't exactly ugly, but far from beautiful in my subjective opinion. asymmetrical faces are more beautiful to me because they are more interesting, whereas perfectly symmetrical faces are less likely to get my attention. Again, this is just my OPINION because beauty is SUBJECTIVE. All I can say is that I seriously hope that people aren't putting too much stock into this crap. There's already so many young people out there who are brain washed by the media into thinking that they aren't good enough. We don't need this rubbish doing the rounds either. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    Tom :)

    TrimmerNZ, Jun 2, 2012