Scientific calculator recommendation?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Hollinger, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
    his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

    Jim Hollinger, Aug 15, 2005

  2. Jim Hollinger

    Harrison Guest

    Get whatever the teacher recommends.

    Harrison, Aug 15, 2005

  3. I don't have that information. He is 500 miles away, and I currently have
    limited communication with him due to issues with his mom. The information
    I gave in my previous post, I got from his grandmother, and it is all the
    info I currently have. I need to get him a calculator today. Any help
    would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Jim Hollinger, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Jim Hollinger

    Mike Easter Guest

    I would think any advanced placement chemistry testing and placement
    processes would have rules and guidelines about what nature of
    scientific calculator was permissible and recommended and what was not.

    The common 'parlance' of 'advanced placement' is typically a process by
    which pre-testing results in a 'bypassing' of some lower course
    structure -- often seen when HS students bypass some entry level general
    college courses. Sometimes such bypassing is advantageous and sometimes
    it is not, but can be counterproductive.

    What is the purpose of the/your 'advanced placement chemistry class' for
    a HS sophomore? Generally college level chemistry courses for science
    degree oriented students who might be involved with a 'structure' of
    years of chemistry courses with pre-requisite layers for the more
    advanced courses are not particularly well served by some kind of
    advanced placement credit for the first level general chemistry course
    for non-science majors.

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Jim Hollinger

    Pennywise Guest

    |>My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
    |>his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

    I'm partial to the TI-85 http://tinyurl.com/bc6e7, there's lots of
    support for it http://www.ticalc.org/pub/85/

    I used it in my electronics courses, created my own programs to do the
    math :) It runs on the Z80 and easily hackable
    http://www.sealiesoftware.com/ti-asm/

    I still use my Ti-85, - I take it shopping with me, I program'd in a
    shopping program and with scanner registers, you know exactly what
    your going to be paying before checking out.

    Ya I'd go with the Ti-86 the Ti-85's replacement
    http://education.ti.com/us/product/tech/86/features/features.html

    Pennywise, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Jim Hollinger

    Mike Easter Guest

    I think that improving your communication with him would be an even
    better idea than buying some kind of 'scientific calculator' the nature
    of which you don't even know what he wants or needs.

    More likely there is another different kind disconnect between what he
    might use for homework for a chemistry class vs what he might use for
    advanced placement testing than this other kind of disconnect we are
    seeing here.

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Jim Hollinger

    joevan Guest

    I still have my HP 35, first hand held scientific. Use it often. I
    stopped buying battery packs for it after the first couple and just
    use the ac adapter. It was 400 bucks when they first came out. I think
    I paid about 200 for mine. Soon after that Texas Instruments came out
    with one for like 20 buck or so. Not sure about the figures but it was
    back around 76 or so plus or take a year or two.

    joevan, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Jim Hollinger

    Stickems. Guest

    If you are in the UK you can buy one for £1 at the Pound Shop.

    Stickems., Aug 15, 2005
  9. Jim Hollinger

    why? Guest

    My HP41CV is a bit past it now, but the HP48GX is going great. I just
    love the big screen and the symbolic integration , graph interrogation
    it does, all the electronic and mechanical equation solving. It must be
    about 16 years old, I wonder what the new models are like.

    Only problem was it was difficult to use in any kind of exam it's so
    jammed pack with features, then the el cheapo calculator was used.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Jim Hollinger

    Mike Easter Guest

    Many/Most tests are designed so that calculator usage would be
    'inappropriate' -- so as to not give one person with better calculator
    muscle an advantage over another. The actual calculations are taken out
    of the testing process and calculators aren't to be used. The multiple
    choice answer would more likely be in the form of an equation or
    mathematical or scientific expression or formula.

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2005
  11. Jim Hollinger

    why? Guest

    Difficult as in banned, not to use the features.

    Sorry about that.
    I dumped AOS calculators while still at school, once I tried my first
    RPN calculator.

    It was great for calculating semiconductor yields, using the stack ,
    common to all of those type of calculators.

    Part of the ban was because -

    You could solve equations of a line move the cursor on screen and get
    back the numbers the question was for. It was even better for volumes of
    revolulution and calculating the volume between cordinates simply by
    marking points on the graph.

    Or OTOH enter an equation symbolically , and rearrange to find the
    required term.

    Not forgetting the 2D and 3D graphs and a few 1000 functions.

    http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/pictures/hp48gx-c.jpg

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Jim Hollinger

    old jon Guest

    How times have changed Mike. When I was a lad. (swing the lamp, and I`ll
    tell you a war story <g>), the only thing you could take into an exam, was
    your brain. I didn`t use
    a calculator in an exam, `till `85 when I sat my City & Guilds Comp. Tech.
    Oh to be young again.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Jim Hollinger

    joevan Guest

    ODB young agin. Oh yes. Even 10 years younger would be ok.

    joevan, Aug 15, 2005
  14. Jim Hollinger

    clot Guest

    Uh? I used logbooks and sliderules back in the 60's for exams!

    clot, Aug 15, 2005
  15. Jim Hollinger

    ellis_jay Guest

    Look her : online ones .not portable of course ( as in yer back pocket)

    http://www.martindalecenter.com/

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Aug 22, 2005