    I hangs sporadically, every few days....

    Ideas?

    James

    James, Jun 22, 2004

  2. James

    mh Guest

    Do you have logging buffered configured?
    Also make sure console logging is disabled.

    If you have logging buffered enabled ; do you see any error message in
    the log beofre the router is reset/rebooted?

    mh, Jun 23, 2004

  3. James

    James Guest

    Can you give the some example IOS syntax for this?
    Sure I can do this, but why? Does it affect the router locking up?
    I'll get back to you on this.

    James, Jun 23, 2004
  4. James

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Sorry Merv, don't want to get in the way but I have a view that I
    would quite like to air so that I can be corrected as required:)

    The thing is that I understand that console logging is the most
    important job that the router does. Think about it. You have a
    dire router issue and NEED to see the logs. In order to allow you
    to see the logs Cisco have given the console logging output a
    very high priority. So if the router is in trouble you will
    ALWAYS get the logging output. The problem with this approach is
    that console logging is very resource hungry. e.g. an interrupt
    per character, as opposed to Telnet which might be an interrupt
    per packet. So, my feeling is that it is a good idea to turn off
    console logging if you are not using it.

    There is a Cisco doc about this and as I recall buffered logging
    consumes the least resources. Set a decent sized buffer, I often
    use about 32k, which is not too bad to scroll through and is enough
    for quite a few entries. I would not consider less.

    Certainly if you have a router with a problem turning off console
    logging is a GOOD idea.

    Once upon a time I TRASHED a corporate network (out of main busines
    hours but still an unplanned outage) by turning on something like
    "deb ipx event", without understanding what I was doing. My feeling
    now is that if I had turned off console logging I might have got
    away with it.

    AnyBody43, Jun 23, 2004
  5. James

    Hansang Bae Guest

    [snip]
    Probably. This is another pet peeve of mine about Cisco. Either you
    enable debugging or you don't. Don't have a built-in DoS tools if the
    boxes cannot handle them. I understand Juniper handles this much
    better, we'll see when we evaluate them next month.

    Also, the thing about debug is....people only do it when things are not
    going right. So if you never saw a "normal" debug, how do you know what
    to look for when things are not right?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 24, 2004