    there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
    where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
    Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

    Shawn Hirn, May 4, 2009

  2. Shawn Hirn

    boris spider Guest

    The most Central high point in London is the London Eye or Millenium
    Wheel right on the river Thames. Although it costs £17 per adult.

    http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/Flights/Default.aspx?promoType=fb

    From there you could travel on a waterbus on the Thames to Greenwich which
    not only has the Naval Hospital buildings but the Observatory with the
    Greenwich meridian at the top of the hill and the view across London.
    Plus shots on the river itself from the bus.

    Parliament Hill which is part of Hampstead Heath is a recognised high point
    and free.

    The viewing galley at the top of the tower of Westminster Cathedral
    (a 20th century Byzantine style redbrick Catholic Cathedral in Victoria not
    to be confused with the Abbey) is quite high and pretty central and is
    free AFAIAA and is open daily from 9.30am to 12.30pm, and from 1.00pm to 5.00pm.
    http://www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/vinfo/vinfo_times.html

    Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
    for reasons of "security".

    For general enquiries about travelling in London and other information
    you could try
    uk.transport.london

    boris

    boris spider, May 4, 2009

  3. ^^^^^^

    can one cook there ? :)

    Giovanni Drogo, May 4, 2009
  4. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I haven't been back to England since I migrated to the South Seas in 1973,
    but one place I remember in London that isn't on the main tourist route is
    'The Monument' http://www.themonument.info/ near London Bridge. Only 61
    metres high, but back in the 70's that was enough to give you a great view*,
    plus a fair old work-out, as there is no lift, just a lot of stairs! I see
    there is now a £3 admission fee, back then it was something like 5p, and
    popular with city workers wanting to raise a sweat in their lunch hour.

    * Still pretty good, judging from the panoramic camera shots on the site.
    Probably wise, given the traffic, price of petrol and the congestion
    charges...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 5, 2009
  5. Shawn Hirn

    Chris H Guest

    From where? "Interesting" depends one what you used to.

    All interesting cites photographically speaking
    All of those cities have been photographed. However there is lots of
    interesting stuff.
    "Everyone" does that.
    The buildings are unique too
    OK for London not so good for Norwich better in Liverpool

    Chris H, May 5, 2009
  6. Shawn Hirn

    congokid Guest

    Yet the observation decks on the Empire State building managed to remain
    open to the public, even in the aftermath of 9/11 when feelings about
    'security' were probably at an all time high.

    I think the reasons in London are more to do with 'couldn't be arsed'.

    A couple more central but not particularly high points here - Monument
    (steps only) and Tower Bridge walkway (there's a lift). You can get a
    ticket that covers entry to both of them.

    congokid, May 5, 2009
  7. Shawn Hirn

    Martin Brown Guest

    I would second "Monument" as a slightly off the beaten track high
    vantage point in London (bit of a climb). London Eye is fun too.

    Nobody seems to have put in a good word for Liverpool so here goes:
    http://www.albertdock.com/
    Is a bit touristy, but has some good exhibits and the nearby waterfront
    is a heritage site. You can get a ferry across the Mersey to see it too.
    They also have two very impressive modern cathedrals and various
    museums, and a fair number of impressive old buildings...

    London's Kew gardens is worth a visit if you are interested in plant
    photography (although a bit of a trek out of London). There are lots of
    small museums off the beaten track so if you give some idea of what your
    photographic interests are then other suggestions are possible.

    If coming from abroad and intending to use UK rail travel check out the
    best open train ticket deals for overseas visitors to make sure you
    don't get stuffed by out privatised disconnected railway non-service.
    You will pay a lot more to buy a ticket on the day than by prebooking.
    As a tourist you probably want some flexibility *and* a decent price.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, May 5, 2009
  8. Most people go to high places to shoot views. If you want something
    different walk along the shores of the sea/rivers, or take boat
    trips. Both scenic plus lots of interesting close detail, old dying
    buildings alongside some of the most modern architecture.

    Chris Malcolm, May 5, 2009
  9. Shawn Hirn

    John Geddes Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    % on public transportation.
    Eg Manchester Ship Canal Cruise (Liverpool to Salford nr Manchester or
    vv; return bus included) - only a few trips each month, but could be
    interesting if your dates did fit.

    John Geddes

    John Geddes, May 5, 2009
  10. Shawn Hirn

    Alan S Guest

    Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!

    Cheers, Alan, Australia

    Alan S, May 5, 2009
  11. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I did a charity run up that thing when I was a teenager. Talk about
    knackered!

    Wikipedia mentions that there was an IRA bomb in the restaurant in 1971, but
    it was finally closed to the public in 1981, with the end of the lease by
    Butlins (the holiday camp people.) Amazing that the whole thing only cost
    £2.5 million - you couldn't build a decent sized mansion for that today!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 6, 2009
  12. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Not half a scary as the lifts in the World Trade Centre, which each went
    about half way up the 100 stories (you had to get out at 50 and change to
    another lift). They bounced up and down when they stopped, quite unsettling.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 6, 2009
  13. Ooooomph.... rim shot, ta daa!
    Nice one.

    John McWilliams, May 6, 2009
  14. Shawn Hirn

    barnaby Guest

    I'm not sure what the highest point open to the public is in Norwich
    but you can get pretty good views from around the castle. I don't know
    offhand if you can go on the roof, which probably is the highest point
    in the city. There are also very good streetscape/roofscape views over
    the market place - try the bike racks next to St. Peter Mancroft or
    maybe the steps of City Hall as a vantage point.

    Check out Heigham Park and the wilder Mousehold Heath.

    The University of East Anglia, as someone else has mentioned, has an
    eclectic array of interesting buildings from the 60s onwards. You can
    roam the campus freely.

    If you're into interiors, you must visit the Edwardian Norwich Union
    building on Surrey Street with its "marble hall", one of the best-kept
    secrets of Norwich. They welcome visitors and I imagine photography is
    okay if you ask.

    For industrial dereliction mixed with medieval remnants, wander along
    King Street away from the city centre. The river in the other
    direction (the other side of Prince of Wales Road) is also photogenic
    in a much prettier way.

    You won't really need much in the way of public transport in Norwich -
    the centre is entirely walkable. The university is a bit of a trek out
    but there's a regular bus service.

    barnaby, May 6, 2009
  15. Shawn Hirn

    Mike Guest

    try some of the street markets, Borough is the trendy one. The balcony
    of Tate Modern is a good viewpoint, the London Eye isn't as its all
    glazed in.

    Mike, May 6, 2009
  16. Shawn Hirn

    barnaby Guest

    Just thought - another interesting choice in Norwich would be the
    Plantation Garden. http://www.plantationgarden.co.uk/

    barnaby, May 6, 2009
  17. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "Paul Bartram" <paul.bartram AT OR
    NEAR lizzy.com.au> saying something like:
    Puts it in perspective somewhat. A Great Train Robber today would have
    to heist the equivalent of putting up another PO tower - about what,
    half a billion?

    Grimly Curmudgeon, May 6, 2009
  18. Shawn Hirn

    Alan S Guest

    and speak with Belfast accents...

    Cheers, Alan, Australia

    Alan S, May 6, 2009
  19. *real* terrorists blow themselves up......

    indecent conduct and unnatural acts, May 6, 2009
  20. Shawn Hirn

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I was nearby when an IRA car bomb went off outside The Old Bailey in central
    London - it rattled the windows of our building nearly a mile away. That was
    1973.

    http://prints.paphotos.com/pictures_675862/OLD-BAILEY-BOMB-LONDON-1973.html

    I vividly remember the green-tinted gouges in the sandstone wall of the
    court building (the car was green) and -as you can see in the photo on that
    page - ALL the windows on the office block opposite were blown out, even the
    ones on the other side. Casualties were light because the police had a
    warning, and were able to evacuate the area.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, May 7, 2009