    Location:
    Eureka California
    I'm will share this site with my friends and try and get some more interested people here. I think the harddrive prize was an excellent way to attract people, just this outcome is a little dissappointing. I can assist with webdesign in the areas of graphics, flash 8, and HTML. Let me know if I can help.

    Ludnix, Nov 20, 2005

  2. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    I'm not here for the short haul ;) I made these changes to get the site back on track, and I've already put lots of hours into the design change, vBulletin, coding etc...

    It seems like the companies send hardware directly out as you manage the contacts yourselves (unholy/erik), which I don't have a problem with at all - its probably the most efficient way :)

    Ian, Nov 20, 2005

  3. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well there are some points that are still confusing. For instance, you say you bought the site from someone other than Mike, yet Unholy says that the owners name is Mike, so that just complicates matters. I've seen the discussion you linked to but it's not really proof of much, I mean, if I wanted to get out from under a contest I started and couldn't finish, that'd be an easy way to do it. Pretend I've sold the site and then using another name pretend to buy it from myself then appear under a different name on my site. Now that's not an accusation but it's one thing that might be the truth. There's a lot of stuff going on here that's not very above board. If you want volunteers to help with this site you'll need to give some kind of way for us to know you can be trusted. I don't know how you can do that but, one way to start would be to get the original owner of the site to come clean. I don't think it's so much the fact that anyone here was dying to win the prize as it is that we've been lied to.

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005
  4. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    I'm sorry Modfather, but I don't know what I can do to prove this anymore? I'm based in the UK which was different to whoever owned it last, I'm an established member on sitepoint and I've dealt with lots of people on there before, and I've actually tried my very best to get things sorted round here :confused: Believe me, I'd rather have paid for a HDD than a $160 vBulletin license to fix the phpBB problem!

    I've always replied to posts since I've joined and I've listened to any suggestions - such as changing the main page and making things 100% width instead of fixed.

    Ian, Nov 20, 2005
  5. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's ok Ian, you're doing fine, it's just that it'll take some time I suppose. Unfortunately you did make a couple of mistakes, one was in spending so much for this site and the other was with registering vBulletin, there's nothing wrong with phpBB and I'd offered to fix the problem with the old forums several times, but the owner never bothered to answer me. I could have had this site fixed in a few minutes. You also could have saved a ton of money by just registering a domain name and getting a hosting package. I work for a webhosting company, our packages start at $4.95 a month (USD) and actually, the kind of traffic that this site has, that'd be enough, but there are bigger packages. For my site (infinity-customs.com) I pay $19.95 a month. That's after the domain registration which is about $10. So for about $30USD you could have had a site up and going. True, you wouldn't have had an established userbase, but there's not a large one here as it is.

    If it's not too late to do so, can't you cancel the sale? That'd be what I would do, you really did get screwed here. If you're stuck with it, well then... Like I said, we can all do something to help but, a lot of it is on you. Why don't you put in a Suggestions forum, start there by posting what you want to do with the site, how you want it to function and your goals and see what kind of things folks have to say. What's your reason for wanting to get a site like this for example?

    -Mike

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005
  6. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Its too late to cancel as payment was sent at the time of the sale, but I still think it was worth it in the long run.

    I'll come up with something to add into a sticky thread with the ideas outlined in it :)

    Ian, Nov 20, 2005
  7. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sounds like a plan. Here's hoping things turn out for the best.

    -Mike

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005
  8. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i knew it, there only one mike... i knew it all along modfather = mike :p

    Hey Ian did u even browse the site before u attempted to buy it?

    unholy, Nov 20, 2005
  9. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Yes, of course :D

    Ian, Nov 20, 2005
  10. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Then how come you weren't aware of the problems and of the contest? Now I'm getting concerned again. Heres what doesn't add up.

    1. You paid that much money for a website which obviously had very little activity, had serious problems and also had a contest which if you'd actually checked the site you'd have seen people were questioning already.

    2. You further paid for a licence for vB, which is kind of silly since vB is a derivative of phpBB in the first place and phpBB is free, why anyone pays for this I will never comprehend, espescially since it's uncustomizable while phpBB is fully customizable. But your choice.

    3. The whole idea that there was a contest and the point to it was that at 100 users the prize would be awarded yet, magically the forums were screwed up by some code written by the sites owner that banned everyone who tried to sign up.

    4. At the point where 97 users had registered, the owner now finds someone willing to pay $400 for the site?

    These things just do not add up I'm afraid. I can't tell you how you can prove anything or what to do to make things right, all I can say is that it's really fishy and if you did buy this site from someone, sue them. That's my advice, sue the bastard, because I don't think you're going to get anything out of your investment here. Because of the way this was handled, the users you've got now are a bit turned off. Maybe that's an understatement, actually I think the users here are leaving. I'd suggest that if you want to make a step in the right direction you get the guy you bought the site from to get on here and explain himself, quickly.

    The Modfather, Nov 21, 2005
  11. unholy

    Ludnix

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eureka California
    I think modfather pretty much summed up everyone thoughts there. I don't know how to express how much I agree with everything he just said.

    Ludnix, Nov 21, 2005
  12. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Modfather, I don't know how I can prove anything further to you so I'm not going to try to - you will just have to believe me from my actions. I've listened to people's suggestions and I'm working hard to make positive changes here.

    vB isn't a derivative of phpBB at all - its far older and much, much more secure. phpBB is fine, but I've had so many problems with hacked phpBB boards and none with vBulletin - so I made the switch. I've lost a whole phpBB forum before, and don't want to see that happening again. Also, the article system is based on a vBulletin mod, so it makes that much easier.

    I'm not denying that the banning code was a bit fishy to say the least, but that was one of the first things I fixed.

    I can only assume the owner wanted a quick sale because of these problems, as that still seems like a reasonable price to me. Velocity Reviews has a good name, lots of reviews/articles and active forums - all the required ingredients. :)

    Ian, Nov 21, 2005
  13. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmmm, if you say so Ian... I can only wish you the best of luck then. Hopefully things will turn out for the best.

    The Modfather, Nov 21, 2005
  14. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined: