    Location:
    Australia
    OMFG, i would kill myself before i listen to her shit music eva again :|

    unholy, Nov 16, 2005

  2. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is MUCH WORSE than Britney Spears. This is just deceptive and bad.

    So now the contest is a dead issue and the whole thread is closed before we can even get a chance to bitch about it? That's so wrong. I think if the new administration wants to keep up good relations with the current users they need to do something to make up for that. If there actually is new administration that is, I mean, I still have it in the back of my mind that there wasn't any change of ownership and this whole thing was a clever way to get out of having to award the prize to anyone. Not saying that's what happened but it's in my mind and I can't help but have the suspicion.

    The Modfather, Nov 17, 2005

  3. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    I actually agree with you Modfather. Though something is in my suspicion mike has buggered off for good, and i will neva here anything from him.

    unholy, Nov 17, 2005
  4. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Maybe, or maybe Ian is just a new name he's using on the site to hide behind and pretend he sold the site so he doesn't have to make good on the contest.

    Supposedly a company bought the site out, right? Well then, have that company offer up some prize to replace the HD that's been torn from our greedy fingers before we could have a chance to win it. Maybe something more useful, like a couple of gigs of DDR2 or a 7800 GTX OC card or something. :) That'd be cool.

    Man, I'd spam this place so much to up my post count it wouldn't be funny. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 17, 2005
  5. unholy

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    A new PSU! that is what i need.

    Gez, Nov 17, 2005
  6. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Nah the PSU hype is over now Gez, that means we only get one or two until miod next year (PSU output hype)

    Atm theres nothing new in to be released Graphics card's are about Jan Febuary, mobos are about the same time as PSU's, in june.

    ATM Gez and Modfather i see nothing unless Ian has some money or Erik has a spare product he doesn't want.

    unholy, Nov 18, 2005
  7. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Like I said, isn't Ian just the admin who's representing some company?

    Frankly, I really don't buy it, I think he's the same person who's always owned the site under a new name and I'd have been satisfied if he'd just said "I can't do the contest, I'm sorry, but here, I'm working on fixing the site". I'd have said "no problem" and that'd be that. This deception is for the birds and has lost respect from me.

    The Modfather, Nov 18, 2005
  8. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    If you must know:

    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316578

    I don't work for some company, I'm a university student with an interest in computers! I've really tried hard to put things right around here, and I've been totally honest about the HDD - I didn't even know about the thing until after I bought the site.

    I'm trying my best to sort things out here, and I've spend a long time coding the new forums and getting a new article system up and running.

    Ian, Nov 18, 2005
  9. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So, that's the ticket....

    That's a lot of money to pay for a site when you are still in school. Do you have a plan to make money, or at least get your money back over time? We aren't paid, except when there are items to keep from doing a review. I expect you'll be looking for sponsors to place on the home page (maybe the forum borders too. May I suggest a link to Newegg.com? That's my favorite place to order from.

    bigal, Nov 18, 2005
  10. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Thanks for the ideas Bigal!

    The idea is to try and get this site bigger over time with sponsors etc... but thats going to be something in the long run. I'm still at university (final year), but I've worked on internet sites for a while and wanted to invest in one :)

    I don't want to cover the site in ads though, so don't worry about that - probably none on the forums at all as it spoils them! I'm not a fan of loads of flashy banners at all! ;)

    Ian, Nov 18, 2005
  11. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well then, I do apologize for doubting your sincerity, but you have to realize how it looks from this end. I have to say though, it seems to me that you got seriously ripped off here. What is it that you think there is about this site that made it worth that price? You're pretty much looking at the core of the users of the site here, maybe what, 8 or 10 of us? The traffic report of 100 to 200 unique hits per day may or may not be true but it certainly isn't repeat traffic or users who are a part of a community. The site needs a lot of help and direction and a lot of advertising. If Robert Rath hadn't told me about it on my site I'd never have known it existed. With the forum issue, the dirty deal about the prize and all that, you sort of walked into a headache.

    But perhaps there is hope, if you want to make a go of the site, there's things you could do to make that happen. PM me or E-mail me, I can offer what advice I can, I've been building web presences for over a decade so I've got some experience.

    -Mike

    The Modfather, Nov 18, 2005
  12. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    I think if we can put this HDD issue behind us for now, and then build on a fresh start then it will be possible to make a good go of Velocity Reviews :)

    We have some good reviews, forums and community so I don't see why not :D

    I'm optimising the pages for search engines to get some more visitors in too.

    Ian, Nov 18, 2005
  13. unholy

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sounds like....

    ...a good plan to me. I want to see the site grow. We should find ways to offer prizes every now and then. I offered up a few prizes this year (Cooler Master Aerogate I in September, and an used Athlon XP 2000+ in October), so maybe some other forum members have a prize they can lay on the table.....

    bigal, Nov 18, 2005
  14. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer but theres still hte fact it was a prize, if u just get rid of it. then tons of people will mock this site.

    u have to think before u act.

    how many people registered just for the HDD. now they think its gone. Even i had doubts in the begninng,

    If u let this pass, i will think of leaving the site.

    Its not a matter of yer, lets just scrap it. its a matter of lets scrap it and loose a million possible members.

    unholy, Nov 19, 2005
  15. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'll tell you what Ian...

    Do you still have the sponsors who are offering hardware to do reviews on the way Mike said they were or is that just a lot of hot air? If so, perhaps that can be a way to get this going again. You need reviewers, then offer to give those items to people who can write the reviews. Find something to use to make it worthwhile for people to become active here. You're going to have to do something to fix this negative issue that came from what Mike pulled, which was very dirty dealings. You've got Silverstrand who's doing a marvelous job of submitting reviews and finding other reviews to share on here, you probably need more of that as well as people to help keep the site active and interesting. So here's what I would do.

    1. Establish a new prize giveaway, call it a "Under New Management Contest" and come up with something to ease this transition.

    2. Bring in new staff writers who are willing to do the reviews for hardware and who know at least a little about how to write. (Sorry Unholy, that sort of leaves you out of the picture there).

    3. Staff the forums with trusted moderators who do more than just police the forums but know how to get conversations started and keep them interesting.

    4. I'd use a CMS for the front end, this way the submission of news items is automated and simple. If you need help in that area, I can help, but I think that'd solve one problem right off the bat.

    5. Get sponsors, not "advertisers" in the sense of google or other invasive stuff, but advertisers who you can simply put graphical links to on the front page. That's less invasive and I know for myself I'm much more inclined to follow that kind of a link than the ones that are stuffed into forums or take up part of a site with their own push content.

    6. Win the trust of the current core userbase of the site. I think you know who thay are, Unholy, XhArD, BigAl, Robert Rath, Gez, Silverstrand, myself and a few others who I'm sorry I'm not remembering. We're the guys who will most likely go out and get new users for the site but we'll only do it if we know you're trustworthy and the site's going to kick butt.

    So far, you're doing alright. The new forums took a little getting used to but I'm liking them now. The new front page is alright but seems to still be somewhat vanilla. You're still working on that so that's understandable. Like I mentioned, consider a good CMS to alieviate some of the issues. I'd also expand the modding areas, the modding community is going to be one of your biggest areas most likely. Modders are the ones who hit sites like this the most.

    And as I said, if you want to, PM or Email me, I can help with some things if you're on the level but it'll take some effort on your part to win back the trust of the regular users here.

    The Modfather, Nov 19, 2005
  16. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    I'm currently working on a CMS like way to add reviews to the site, using a new mod for vBulletin (it keeps everything on the same database this way). This was one of the reasons for the switch, as the old system used static file all the way (so time consuming!).

    I don't have any contacts from hardware review companies from Mike as I didn't deal with him, although I suspect the reviewers have have direct contact?

    I'm going to find out about sponsors in a month or two once things have settled down here, as I don't think they'd give it a shot now - but may do in a month, so its best to try then :)

    Unholy, to tell the honest truth - I can't give away a HDD now as I didn't know about it and simply can't afford it. I really pushed myself for the total value of this site :( As Modfather says, once we have sponsors then things can change!

    I hope you're all on my side about this :D

    Ian, Nov 19, 2005
  17. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, a CMS would have done all that for you already. Including if you wanted, have the forums be incorporated into the thing itself. No static or flat databases, all PHP and MySQL. Did you look at any of my sites?

    That I don't know, I was under the impression that Mike was the owner and you bought the site from him. Haven't you had a chance to talk directly with the staff of the site? You probably should do that first thing.

    If you can establish a solid userbase you'll have a better chance of attracting the kinds of sponsors you want. If you went with, say, something like Google's AdSense, you'd probably not earn very much. A solid sponsor who's willing to pay outright for the exposure rather than a lousy click-through rate would be a lot better way to go.

    I'd think that you might do well to find something to use for this, even if you're giving away a T-Shirt or a small piece of hardware that's laying around, you should try to make good on the promises of the previous owner. You've been handed something here that had an existing promise with it and as its new owner you'll likely be held responsible for those previous promises. What I would do is go to the person you bought the site from and tell him that he owes you a 200gb SATA hard drive, technically he owes it to one of the users of the site and should be made to make good on that promise. You might, if that fails, want to simply post his email address and we'll badger the heck out of him until he makes good. :)

    [/quote]

    I think that some of us want to be, but we need a show of faith and trustworthiness. I'm noticing that the activity within the past 48 hours has dwindled quite a bit and I'm wondering if that's because of a loss of trust. You might wind up having to establish this site from square one. It may not be your fault that people feel that they were lied to and cheated but you can't blame folks for having a bitter taste in their mouths about it. I would give careful consideration to what you do next to try to make this work. I'd say that the first step is to get on the case of the previous owner. If it wasn't "Mike" then who was it?

    -The other Mike

    The Modfather, Nov 19, 2005
  18. unholy

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    It was a guy called Danny, I thought he'd have been on the site somewhere?

    OK, let me find out about this HDD now from the past owners

    Ian, Nov 19, 2005
  19. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    EDIT:: I forgot to mention Me and erik control 99% of the sponsorship. mildy distrupted between us, its impossible to hand over control easily from most of my companies as they prefer that i would do the reviews. Like Sunbeam, because i have aided them in there new products. though corsair isn't too keen on this Ownership change. not sure 100% why but i think its cause then will loose a good review partner.

    Are you saying i cant write reviews? Just because i am not the best writer in the forums doesn't mean i cant write reviews, it seems you are affraid of calling me a reviewer. (ps what are editors for, and what about proof reading, spell checker and dictionary.com)

    cause if thats true say goodbye to 70-80% of the good sponsor ship, i have Corsair and OCZ back up if i want to start a new site, not to mention Sansung Sunbeam tech and Titan Cooling Devices.

    So if ur ready to kick me out because u cant think of a way to kick back against mike then so be it.

    With this prize you speak of, its unlikely were going to get another HDD to give away.

    So here my proposal.

    i will ask a few companies i know if they want to give away anything. BUT on the condition i see a good amount of people coming in. i Will also give away this cooler Evercool sent me without realising i have a AMD and no intels. (775 Socket Cooler), i cannot offer the Water case as it will simply cost me shitloads to send out. it costs 50USD from China. and it weighs 22KG and is about 120% Large then a normal box of a Mid-Tower case.

    Not only that but i will speak with Mike, and see what he says, after all if he doesn't answer i know never to help him again, and i will be sure to ""inhance"" his bad reputation.

    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
    unholy, Nov 20, 2005
  20. unholy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No Unholy, I was just busting your chops as usual, you know that ya goof! :) I know you do reviews and you're one of the people who gets the hardware to review. But our traditional banter has always been you being the illiterate guy and me being the spelling nazi. :)

    Maybe there's a hope for saving this site, maybe there isn't. But we need to know that Ian is on the level and he's committed to the future of it. If we know that then we can do more to help. I don't have any contacts to get ahold of hardware for reviews, but I do get hardware and software fairly quickly and can write reviews as well. So if that'd be of help that's fine. I've also got experience in web design and graphics work and have been doing those things for ages. You've got a core group that you can build the site around but we need to see that you're on the level before we can feel comfortable commiting our time and effort to a project I think.

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005