    And if they're B&W, am I best scanning them in grayscale or B&W?

    Thanks,

    Fred.

    Fred Finisterre, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Fred Finisterre

    rescueperson Guest

    Hmmm..You say photos, so is this film or digital? This being a digital
    group, I had to ask. If you possibly have the negatives, that would
    be a better option for scanning.

    Yes to 300 dpi. that is what is used for printing. Your scanner
    should create .tiff files which are good for prints. Make sure and
    run the photos through photoshop to check levels,contrast,etc. before
    printing... I would scan them in B and w. as opposed to grayscale. As
    for blowing them up poster size, I use a photshop plug in from Alien
    Skin called Blow UP.

    I hope that helps...

    -Gary

    http://www.followfocusproductions.com

    http://followfocusproductions.blogspot.com

    rescueperson, Oct 1, 2007

  3. Fred Finisterre

    Paul Allen Guest

    Well, your goal is to have enough resolution to not see scanner
    pixels in the final print, right? You'll be limited by the resolution
    that starts to 'see' the paper's grain, and this will depend on the
    paper. Try some experiments to discover what works best for this
    particular situation.
    Grayscale, of course, unless you want the images reduced to bi-level.
    Try a scan in B&W to see what I mean.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Fred Finisterre

    Marvin Guest

    If you are scanning ordinary prints, scanning at 300 ppi
    captures all of the detail in the image. If you later are
    dealing with a printer who insists the files must be at 600
    ppi for the intended print size, use one of the several
    image editing proghrams that increase the pixel count by
    interpolation.
    300 pp1 will be fine. People don't expect posters ot have
    high-resolution images. What oyu need depends on how far
    away people are when the view the poster.
    I doubt the prints are in B&W, which means that the image
    contains no grey image points. Scan in grayscale; 8 bits is
    plenty to catch all the depth of the grayscale of a print.

    Marvin, Oct 1, 2007