Scan not completing Trend Micro 2008

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jul 13, 2008.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    A complete scan came on late at night. I closed it to do in the morning. It
    now seems to be stuck.

    Trend micro internet security Overview page - last scan shows as July13,
    2008 but not whether the scan is incomplete.
    The "scan now" part is greyed and doesn't work.
    "Update now" gets the message "Please wait until the scan has finished
    before trying to update your protection"
    The update log shows "error prevented update etc."

    I don't think the scan is still scanning a day later. There is no red light
    on the tower showing anything working.
    Trying to shut down gets the message to wait until the scan is finished.

    I've found "Read Me txt - Notepad " from the Start Menu - Trend Micro

    It says "7.4 Scans for security threats stopped while in progress sometimes
    cannot successfully complete"

    So I know what is wrong, but I can't find anything in Help about how to
    complete the scan or how to start a new scan.

    Any ideas please?

    Windows XP, Outlook Express, Trend micro 2007 updated to 2008.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    PS the computer is working well now it has been refurbished.

    Geopelia, Jul 13, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >A complete scan came on late at night. I closed it to do in the morning. It
    >now seems to be stuck.
    >
    > Trend micro internet security Overview page - last scan shows as July13,
    > 2008 but not whether the scan is incomplete.
    > The "scan now" part is greyed and doesn't work.
    > "Update now" gets the message "Please wait until the scan has finished
    > before trying to update your protection"
    > The update log shows "error prevented update etc."
    >
    > I don't think the scan is still scanning a day later. There is no red
    > light on the tower showing anything working.
    > Trying to shut down gets the message to wait until the scan is finished.
    >
    > I've found "Read Me txt - Notepad " from the Start Menu - Trend Micro
    >
    > It says "7.4 Scans for security threats stopped while in progress
    > sometimes cannot successfully complete"
    >
    > So I know what is wrong, but I can't find anything in Help about how to
    > complete the scan or how to start a new scan.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    >
    > Windows XP, Outlook Express, Trend micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia
    >
    > PS the computer is working well now it has been refurbished.

    It's solved itself! We had a small power cut, and when I restarted the
    computer the problem had gone.

    So the answer must be "cut off the power at the wall".

    Ha!!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 14, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:05:39 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>A complete scan came on late at night. I closed it to do in the morning.
    >>>It
    >>>now seems to be stuck.
    >>>
    >>> Trend micro internet security Overview page - last scan shows as July13,
    >>> 2008 but not whether the scan is incomplete.
    >>> The "scan now" part is greyed and doesn't work.
    >>> "Update now" gets the message "Please wait until the scan has finished
    >>> before trying to update your protection"
    >>> The update log shows "error prevented update etc."
    >>>
    >>> I don't think the scan is still scanning a day later. There is no red
    >>> light on the tower showing anything working.
    >>> Trying to shut down gets the message to wait until the scan is finished.
    >>>
    >>> I've found "Read Me txt - Notepad " from the Start Menu - Trend Micro
    >>>
    >>> It says "7.4 Scans for security threats stopped while in progress
    >>> sometimes cannot successfully complete"
    >>>
    >>> So I know what is wrong, but I can't find anything in Help about how to
    >>> complete the scan or how to start a new scan.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas please?
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP, Outlook Express, Trend micro 2007 updated to 2008.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia
    >>>
    >>> PS the computer is working well now it has been refurbished.
    >>>

    >>It's solved itself! We had a small power cut, and when I restarted the
    >>computer the problem had gone.
    >>
    >>So the answer must be "cut off the power at the wall".
    >>
    >>Ha!!
    >>
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > Hi Geo,
    >
    > Just curious - did you try rebooting the machine originally (ie before
    > the power cut? If not I would suggest you- try that if the problem
    > occurs again.
    > --
    > Crash

    Yes, I tried that and kept getting the message "Please wait until the scan
    is finished" But the scan had got stuck.

    I tried restart first, then tried to shut down. Neither worked until the
    power went off.

    Help menus never seem to have the help that is wanted. I wonder who writes
    them.
    Or am I so dumb that I don't know what the kids know?

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 14, 2008