Says Internet Connected but No Web or EMail Access (pings ok thoug

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bGVubWFuNzQ=?=, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Hi

    I just bought a wg511v2 wireless pc card.

    I have installed it on my wifes XP laptop.

    My netgear router dishes out an IP address va DHCP and also DNS server
    addresses (which by the way are different to the ones apparently dished out
    to my wireless (mac) desktop).

    I have gone into the command line and managed to ping external IP addresses.

    XP tells me I am connected to the wireless network and a little netgear app
    pops up to tell me I'm connected to the internet.

    However when I try to access web pages or email no connection seems to be
    there. Internet Explorer stays in offline mode until I try to go online and
    then it will only bring up my wifes work dialin connection.

    When I go into connections under internet options the top box re: setup is
    greyed out, and the bottom box, re the lan settings is also greyed out which
    leavs me only dialup and VPN settings to play with.

    I have tried use windows as the manager of the wireless connection and the
    netgear application. Both do not seem to work.

    In the networking control panel when I am connected via ethernet cable there
    is no icon for Internet Connection Gateway (or something like that, my wife
    has snatched it off me and told me to give up!!!!), but when the cord it out
    and wireless is enabled there is this added icon which seems to indicate that
    packets are being sent and recieved. There is a setting in this panel when
    opened that opens another screen that seems to talk about ports and services.
    Its pretty much blank but for some service on port 5060. Should there be
    services there for 80/http and 25/143/email??

    Any ideas? It seems that the net is there but just under the applications
    radar or invisible to them.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards and Thanks in Advance

    =?Utf-8?B?bGVubWFuNzQ=?=, Nov 1, 2005