    Anyone got any clues? A different browser? Upgrade from Win98SE? Install
    everything from scratch again?

    Rolf

    Rolf, Jun 10, 2006

  2. That is quite an old version. You might want to consider updating to the
    latest 1.5.0.4
    Since you use a nice tabbed browser, why not just open the page(s) you
    want to read later in a new tab(s), and read from there after you
    disconnect?

    If it is a reference you really do need later in life, then and only
    then, save it.

    As an experiment, I just looked for some comparable sized pages to your
    example, and the "Save Page As..." was nearly instantaneous on my 3.2
    GHz Win2K PC.
    If you read right from the browser, you also save a large amount of work
    later in cleaning up the saved stuff. You would now have two copies of
    the page: one in your browser cache, and this one you just saved.
    1. Upgrade Firefox, but only for security reasons (and some new
    functionality).
    2. If you have no other desires for a modern OS, keep W98SE.
    3. Reformatting/reinstalling is not an answer, unless your computer is
    compromised in some other way.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Rolf

    Whiskers Guest

    Surely Firefox doesn't lose the pages you have in the various 'tabs' when
    you disconnect from the internet? Something is wrong if it does. You
    should only need to 'save' a local copy of a web page if you want to be
    able to read it after you've 'closed' the browser and started it again.

    Whiskers, Jun 10, 2006