    Restoring will be as simple as pasting this file in to the account
    folder on a new profile.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 9, 2007

  2. I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.1 and have a mailbox with a bunch of messages in it that I want to save
    as files. I need to get these and others out of the Moz environment because I have been having
    problems and on Thursday will do a wipe/reinstall. I will have saved my profile, but may have to
    reverse that if it turns out that restoring the profile restores the problem.

    T-bird isn't letting me do that - anything else I can do? I would rather not back up each email
    individually.

    Thanks

    Gualtier Malde, Apr 9, 2007

  3. Backing up... what's a/the UI?

    * Rowland Croucher *, Apr 10, 2007
  4. User Interface.

    Meaning, use TB to create a new folder, rather trying to do it with
    Windows in the Profile folder.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 10, 2007
  5. Thank you. I got started and certainly can move some messages.

    Actually, I wanted to save the messages as regular documents. I keep important mail, listserve,
    and newsgroup information for their educational and/or instructional content, and I would be happy
    to have all of them in a text or RTF file for looking at and editing.

    I should have been more clear about what I was up to. I hope to restore *all* of the messages to a
    new copy of Mozilla when we have reformatted and reinstalled, by saving the Mozilla and Thunderbird
    applications files, so that should take care of that. It just seemed like a good time to capture
    all the accumulated knowledge in the messages I've saved.

    Gualtier Malde, Apr 12, 2007
  6. You can, when viewing a message, choose File>>Save As and choose file,
    which will save the individual message as a .eml file, which can then be
    opened with TB for viewing.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Leonidas Jones

    Doug G Guest

    Backup your mail folders files (Inbox, Sent, etc.), give the backed up
    files a .mbx extension, open the MBX files with MsgView.

    Download MsgView from http://www.elbiah.de/tools/old/

    MsgView works best with plain text messages.

    Doug G, Apr 12, 2007
  8. I do appreciate the answers, but my hope was to back up an entire folder of saved messages to one
    file or individual files, and I'm getting the picture that such is not going to be possible. A
    slightly more arduous solution would be to go to the application data and open the file for the
    folder with something like wordpad and find all the text that's buried there and edit that.

    The real lesson: If there is a message with good information worth keeping - like instructions -
    back it up on the spot and avoid accumulating a folder full and having to catch up.

    That was worth the trip - Thank you.

    Gualtier Malde, Apr 12, 2007