Satisfaction with ISP's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Hmmm, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Hmmm

    Hmmm Guest

    From Consumer magazine october 2004

    Xtra got the lowest score
    with a 62% of customers satisfied
    "service hasnt improved in four years, call centre staff rude and unhelpful"

    Ihug were just under the midway point of the ISP's surveyed
    with a 72% customer satisfaction

    Orcon rolled in at Number 2 in the charts at 81% customer satisfaction

    Number 1 was.... Inspire

    Go Orcon, with that customer satisfaction plus the best deals in town
    they should go places as long as they learn from ihugs mistakes who are
    sliding down the toilet.

    Hmmm, Oct 11, 2004

  2. you couldn't break the law scan and put it online could you?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Hmmm

    colinco Guest

    From Consumer magazine october 2004

    Xtra got the lowest score
    with a 62% of customers satisfied
    "service hasnt improved in four years, call centre staff rude and unhelpful"[/QUOTE]

    But half the respondents to the survey are with Xtra, 3 times Paradise
    (next highest)
    Consumer say "Only differences of 12% are meaningful" for these results.
    So why list results in detail rather than bracket as average or better?
    It would seem that any ISP can be good until they get customers :)

    colinco, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Hmmm

    Hmmm Guest

    Ahhh that must be why ihug are trying to lose their customer base so
    they can be good :). So are you telling me Orcon have no customers?

    I _used_ to be with xtra and then ihug, then changed to Orcon like many
    others I imagine, I joined Ihug because they had the best plans, now
    they offer no where near the best plans so I see no reason to stick with
    them, their plans are more expensive than orcons plus they far more
    restricted... hmmm lets see more money for less...

    Anyway you are welcome to post the averages for that, I was just tyring
    to give a quick sum up and show where the big isps were, xtra, ihug, and
    orcon seen as they are the most talked about.

    I had never even heard of inspire.

    Hmmm, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Hmmm

    bAZZ Guest

    Don't they (consumer) have it online ?

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 11, 2004
  6. I had never even heard of inspire.[/QUOTE]

    Local crowd :) I have yet to hear anything bad from them ... or anything
    ordinary for that matter. Everyone I know that uses them loves them.

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 11, 2004
  7. anything interesting seems to need a subscription.

    and no-one who uses bugmenot has entered a logon yet.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 11, 2004
  8. Don't they (consumer) have it online ?[/QUOTE]

    Might do ... but most of their online content is $2 extra /month over and
    above the magazine sub. :)

    Doesn't impress me ... particularly since they are supposed to be a consumer
    organisation.

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 11, 2004
  9. Hmmm

    JohnO Guest

    Might do ... but most of their online content is $2 extra /month over and
    above the magazine sub. :)

    Doesn't impress me ... particularly since they are supposed to be a consumer
    organisation.
    [/QUOTE]

    How do you expect them to fund themselves if not by subscribers?

    JohnO, Oct 11, 2004
  10. Advertising? They could highlight the benefits of certain brands in a
    subtle way.

    Their reviews are crap anyway. Ease of use is rated far too high, where
    actually doing a good job should be the priority. E.g. Who cares if a
    VCR doesn't have that awful G-Code system?

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 11, 2004
  11. Hmmm

    JohnO Guest

    So much for neutrality in the reviews then.

    JohnO, Oct 11, 2004
  12. How do you expect them to fund themselves if not by subscribers?[/QUOTE]

    Oops ... to be a little clearer ...
    The sub should include the online content. Most of the value is in being
    able to search for previous tests (to me anyway). I find no value in "extra
    web stuff", nor (from their advertising) any reason for paying for it. Given
    they have published previous stuff in the mag already, they should make that
    available for subscribers at no cost.
    Charging extra for it doesn't seem logical or reasonable to me. YMMV of
    course.

    To address your question directly ... well they could sell "recommended by
    consumer" labels for use on products they test as "the best". That would be
    one other way. I have no problem subscribing tho :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 11, 2004
  13. Hmmm

    JedMeister Guest

    This is for dial-up only of course.

    JedMeister, Oct 11, 2004
  14. whats G-code?
    I've seen it on a few, but no-one has ever explained it to me.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Hmmm

    Harry Guest

    That is strange because I have found them extremely helpful on the rare
    occasion that I have spoken to them. Even in spite of my attitude!

    But maybe I get special treatment for obvious (to me) reasons.

    Harry, Oct 12, 2004
  16. well for the moment at least, it is kinda pointless comparing DSL...

    I can see it now, "they all worked/didn't work as expected... as they're
    all using a Telecom product."

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 12, 2004
  17. Hmmm

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Oct 12, 2004
  18. Hmmm

    JohnO Guest

    It is a numeric string that encodes channel number and start and stop
    datetime./ They print it on the programme guide so to record it on a g-code
    vcr you just ender the number. I think some remotes can scan it as a
    barcode.

    One of those ideas that's just a bit too twee to be really useful. Further,
    it ought to be completely redundant now with EPG's and PVR's but that's
    another story (SkyTV, XMLTV, Grrrr!).

    JohnO, Oct 12, 2004
  19. ... did we just agree on something ? :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 12, 2004
  20. Hmmm

    nick Guest